The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
72WiscSub

Looking for opinions

Well I might have to sell the 72 Suburban (wife is going back to school, and the money could be used for other things right now) and I really don't now what it is worth. Everyone here seems to know a lot about these trucks so I thought I would ask for your opinions. I don't want to be one of those guys who thinks he has a $15,000 truck. Just want a fair price.

I have only owned it for the last three months, but have done a lot of updates. It is originally a N. Carolina truck. The previous owner had it repainted about 5-6 months ago, looks great. Body is rock solid and so is the frame. Starts and runs great. Drove it home 50 miles and it ran smooth and straight. I bought it for my wifes landscaping business, but I am having a hard time letting her haul brush, dirt, mulch and other stuff in the back. It is just too clean to have a bunch of stuff piled in it. Once I started cleaning it up I just thought it is too nice to be a full time work truck.

Here is some info and list of things completed:

350 auto, 350 tranny - 133,000 miles.
PS, PB, AC w/rear unit (needs a charge I believe)
Front disc/rear drum, 5 lug
Heavy duty radiator w/tranny cooler

Things I have done:

New 17" Eagle allow 212 rims, and new tires. Alignment.
2" drop coils on the front and new front shocks.
New master cylinder and brake booster.
New gas sending unit.
New inner fenders (driver side was bad under battery, thought doing both was a good idea)
New battery tray.
All dash gauges work. No tach.
Installed new marker lights, I liked the look of the deluxe lenses better than original (have original still)

New front seat houndstooth cover, door panels, carpet, steering wheel, arm rest, sill plates, door weatherstripping, window sill weather stripping (on inside and outside of window). All new pedals and chrome pedal trim. Basically new interior. (second/third row seats are original, great shape). Headliner is perfect as are the headliner chrome ribs.

Engine tune up just done. Plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, coil.

The cargo area is all original, I did mat a new rubber mat for the back. Wood is excellent shape.

Have a pile of receipts, a lot of other things. I do have the original manual and some service records. Also have the original metal plate the dealership would give you with all the info on it. Protectoplate? Not sure. About the size of a credit card.

Heres some things it needs or I haven't gotten to yet:

Engine runs great but has typical leak by rear main. Not a lot, just enough to be annoying. Tranny leaks a bit out the real seal, again nothing horrible.
Hi-beams don't work - have new switch
Heater blower motor stopped working - have a brand new one
Defrost insert in dash is cracked - have a new pair of chrome ones w/ defrost duct hoses
Glove box insert missing - have a brand new one

Tailgate upper has some bubbling, nothing serious. Should be very fixable for any one who knows body work.

I have some rust under the rear drivers side window along the floor. I cleaned it up and seam sealed it. Again nothing serious, no holes that you can see the ground through.

Well that is enough for now. This a really, really nice Suburban that has not been chopped or hacked apart. Great truck, just looking for an idea of what I might get for it. Hate to have to get rid of her, but I told my wife there will always be others. Once she completes school we can get another.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
Attached Images

72WiscSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Looking for opinions

I would fix those little items that you already have parts for, that will help to sell it and keep the price up . . . I think it IS a $15,000 truck, at least, but getting someone to pay that much in this crappy economy is another story. Try Ebay but describe it really well with all its history and post lots of good pics, like you did here. I sold my 93 Toyota 2wd truck on Ebay and got $1,000 over Blue Book. I take cash only and sell locally only. I merely detailed the crap out of it and posted very pretty pics at dusk on a horse racnh with horses around the truck. Looked awesome. A lady with an appliance repair business actually bought it because she said it was so pretty. If the wife does not like it, she won't let her hubby buy it.
Attached Images

mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
72WiscSub

Re: Looking for opinions

I am in no hurry to sell this right now, so I will replace the parts I have and enjoy driving it for now.

Thanks for the response. I am not sure I want to go through Ebay. I think I will list it here and on my local craigslist and see if anyone is interested.

Still not sure what price to list it at. I guess I will look around at other Suburbans for sale and come up with something.

Thanks
72WiscSub is offline   Reply With Quote