The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
etravis46

1970 C/10 Electrical Issues

Ok. So I usually try to answer all my questions by researching past threads and searching the internet but I can't seem to find any info that can help me. I have a 1970 C/10 CST longbed. I bought it in Feb and it had a V8 with a two barrel on it. Manual steering and manual brakes. I checked the Serial on the engine and I believe it is a '73. So I am pretty sure someone has swapped engines in the past. I found a 75 c10 for 300 bucks and pulled the engine, rotors, and power steering off of it. I have already finished the disc brake conversion and added power brakes as well as the power steering.

Then I get to the engine swap. The '75 has been rebuilt fairly recently and has an Edelbrock carb with electric choke and an HEI. The old engine that was in my '70 had a points system and and externally regulated alternator. So I start tearing into things and all goes smoothly until I realize I have some wires that I can't remember what they go to. I've checked all of the diagrams I can find and can't seem to make sense of them.

So my first question is what is this connection block called in the first picture and does it do anything or just serve as a junction point.

Second question is does anyone recognize this black plug connector. It goes to the flat connector that has the black and blue wire. I originally thought the black and blue wires went to my alternator because it fits the slot but after researching I just don't know.

Since I am asking questions, I'll also ask if anyone recognizes the large pink wire in the third picture. I believe it goes all the way back to the ignition switch.

I know electrical questions are tough because colors fade and/or have been changed in the last 40 yrs by who knows who but I hope someone can help me out! Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by etravis46; 08-01-2009 at 05:16 PM.
etravis46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
fixit-p

Re: 1970 C/10 Electrical Issues

Pic #3 pink looks like power wire for electric kick down check for power with key on.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: 1970 C/10 Electrical Issues

Pics 1 and 2 look like part of a TCS system. The black plug looks like the plug for the tranny which was tied into the TCS system. The system is extraneous to the trucks wiring and have been eliminated by some.

Pic 3, the heavy #10 wire has the right end on it to plug into an HEI but it too was probably part of the system. The green wire in pic three is for the temp gauge or it could also be part of the TCS wiring. The green color is a little off to be a temp gauge wire but it is hard to tell because of the fading.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote