The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
72power

got a question

ok so i bought my neighbors '72 chevy c-10 truck, and it has dual cherry bomb exhaust on it. this thing is loud. i wanted to know if anyone has like a list/chart of all the exhaust systems and what level of loudness they are. because everytime i search loudest exhaust the usual fighting about how cherry bombs are redneck and magnaflows are from heaven comes up. so if anyone could give input id appreciate it. thanks in advance
72power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
QKENUF4U

Thumbs up Re: got a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72power View Post
the usual fighting about how cherry bombs are redneck and magnaflows are from heaven comes up.
truth is a biatch aint it... well IMHO it would be cherry bombs and flowmaster but ......
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
super-g 68

Re: got a question

I've had nearly every brand of exhaust imaginable on a variety or vehicles. Most recently Magnaflow, it has a nice tone, but subdued enough that it doesn't give you a headache going down the highway. I've had Cherry Bomb and sounded great, but too loud in the cab for me.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
72power

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
truth is a biatch aint it... well IMHO it would be cherry bombs and flowmaster but ......
haha thats what i meant, but i was reading something that said magnaflows and it stuck to my mind. but i heard magnaflows are kind of lower quality. i wouldnt mind it being that loud in the cab, if worst comes to worse ill wear earplugs. i basically want this truck to be the loudest possible without going to open headers, and i know cherry bombs are up there but i was wondering if there was something better/louder
Old 08-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Shyguy

I have dual 18" cherry bomb mufflers on my '71 Chevy with a stock 350.

The exhaust pipes exit just below the rear bumper.

The exhausts are not that loud, but I am sure if the exhausts exited out of the side in front of the rear wheels the sound would be pretty loud.

I think my son is running flowmasters on his trucks and likes them real well.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
72power

yea my pipes come out about halfway between the end of the car doors and the rear tires.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
super-g 68

mine dumped behind the rear axle. May have just been the right right rpm to resonate in the cab.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
mclairmo

The underside of the truck will act like a drum and amplify the sound if the exhaust dumps out under the truck and not off to the side or out the back. My Camaro has exhaust dumping right under my a$$ with 2.5 inch Walker Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and it is so loud I cannot even think straight when driving. Of course, it has a 396 and headers, too. I gave up on using the radio, can never hear it.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
72power

haha yea i always have the windows rolled down so whenever im driving the end of the pipes are only like a whole 3 feet way from my ear. so its pretty loud, sounds louder than a chopper motorcycle
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
mr48chev

The trouble with glass packs like the Cherry bombs is that they usually sound just right at the start but when they burn out they get pretty loud and get that resonance that tends to give us the headaches on road trips.

The pipes on my 71 exit in front of the rear wheels and the mufflers ? are well burned out glass packs that act more as echo chambers than mufflers. The echo off the Johnson barriers on the freeway is unreal.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
72power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The trouble with glass packs like the Cherry bombs is that they usually sound just right at the start but when they burn out they get pretty loud and get that resonance that tends to give us the headaches on road trips.

The pipes on my 71 exit in front of the rear wheels and the mufflers ? are well burned out glass packs that act more as echo chambers than mufflers. The echo off the Johnson barriers on the freeway is unreal.
i bet, they make my 93 gmc sierra 1500 sound like a monster.