The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Help: Clatter box

Need some advice.

Whenever I get on the gas I hear this persistant clatter. I checked the exhaust and everything is tight. I had my valve covers off a few days ago and checked the rods. They were good except for one thing, they had some play from side to side. Is that normal?

I started the engine and the valve clatter didn't seem bad at all. But, I get the covers back on and head out the following morning and there it is again. I have good oil pressure. Adjusted the timing couple days ago. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Ro

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
sam's 72

Is it the valve train clattering or is it detonation from the pistons?
Sam
Old 04-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #3
Long Knight

That's what I can't narrow down. I just put headers on not too long ago and maybe they just give off a hollow clatter vibration. Mostly what I need to figure out is if it is something bad that I need to fix or if it is something that doesn't really matter, because my truck is a daily driver that goes over 50 mile/day.

It only does it when I really get on it.

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Old 04-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
lpaine

If your timing is not too far advanced it shouldn't be detonating, I was thinking maybe you had a lifter not pumping up; but if it's only clattering when you get on the gas, that probably would not be a lifter. I think you need to give us more details about this particular sound you're hearing. Also, does it idle well? And do you have a vacum gauge to check the engine with?. They will tell you a lot about whats going on inside the engine.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:35 PM   #5
Long Knight

No vac guage, engine runs slightly rough at idle. Can't seem to even out the idle. Could a bad vac. advance cause the clatter?

Old 04-02-2003, 01:41 PM   #6
sam's 72

I would take it easy till you get the problem pinned down. What octane gas are you useing in it and tell me about your engine, ( size, high performance, stock etc)
Sam
Old 04-02-2003, 02:14 PM   #7
tom hand
CCRider

Quote:
It only does it when I really get on it.
It could just be a header leak
Old 04-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
Long Knight

Engine was rebuilt 7k miles ago. Only upgrade was an RV cam and a Edl 1406. All new pumps. Heads were re-built along w/ engine. Put headers on recently, can't find any leaks.

What would happen if you plugged the end of the tail pipe and shot compressed air up the pipe from an air compressor? That wouldn't mess anything up would it? I figure that would be a sure way to check for leaks, right?

Old 04-02-2003, 04:32 PM   #9
sam's 72

No that would not work like that, when the engine is sitting there off, some of your intake and axhaust valves are open, and you would just blow air out the carb. If it is detonation, try going with a higher octane of gas, or back your timeing down a little. If it is in the valve train, go back and readjust the valve, see if that helps. When you rebuilt the engine, how was the clearence in the bore/ piston? The pistons could have too much clearance and cause the rattleing, but go after the easy things first. It could just be you need to go with a higher octane. That would be a quick fix, I have a completly stock 305 in my truck ( 86' ) and it does not like any thing but 92 93 octane, if I try to go with 89, it clatters bad, if I back my timeing down any at all, I loose a lot of power and the truck is hard to get rolling. LOL! So I keep my timing a little on the advanced side. It is hard for us to say what it is with out hearing this.
Sam
Old 04-03-2003, 12:47 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quick way to see if it is detonation, fill up with 92/93 octain, or what ever is high test at your fillin station. If it stops doing it, you found the problem.
and at 50 miles a day, you should be able to fill up in a couple days.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:57 AM   #11
spinning wheels

When you mentioned clatter and that it gets louder when you get on it, I thought for a minute that you ended up with my ex-girlfriend, but then she clattered before she even got in the truck.
On your problem, check the timing, but it may be too much piston clearance. Sounds like my tired Z28. Damn thing almost sounds like a diesel when the timing is too advanced.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:58 AM   #12
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Check your torque converter bolts, if they work loose, it will give a good clatter......sounds about like a rod bearing spun.

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 09:58 AM   #13
Long Knight

I'll check this stuff out this weekend. Thanks for the input everyone! It's always good to have an idea of what to look for instead of going in blind. This is such a great site for information! Thanks again.