The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

Newbie Needs Advice on this Truck

Asking price is $6600 o.b.o.
My issue: Its the 1st '67-'72 I've looked at. I don't want to pas up good deal and kick myself later. I don't want to be foolish and buy the first I've seen...and kick myself later. All opinions appreciated.

FYI - I DO NOT intend to do a frame off. It will be a Sat/Sun driver. A pretty, no rust truck but not a show truck.

Its a '71 shortbed fleetside with a '68 front clip. Its C-notched (not my preference but well done. I know the welds are good). It has a Chevy V8 (size unknown) that runs solid if unimpressively and an automatic (again, unknown) that shifts fine, does not leak.

I drove it today on the freeway. Runs fine, no stumbling, no overheating, no smoke, blow by, all-in-all, fine as is...for while I work on it.
The truck has been primed a funky yellow/greenish color. Cab shows no rust, but realistically - NO rust in a 38 year old truck? C'mon. I didn't have a magnet with me to check anything.

So: its all there, runs fine, is a factory AC truck but of course none of it works. The "eyeball" dash end vents are there and the control module. The bed is solid but full of surface rust and mildly dented - will need a lot of work or replacement. Has front discs, brand new lowering springs, lugs match front and rear.

What do you think of this as a starting point for the price and my intended use? I've been lurking and I think the price is ok (I'd love lower of course).
I am leaning toward, "Don't get hotpants. Its the first one you've seen" But I don't want to recognize later I blew it by not buying this one.
Attached Images

Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: Newbie Needs Advice on this Truck

I think the price might be just a tad high, but I could be wrong. Hard to say for sure without seeing pics of the suspension work and under the hood. I would find out which motor and tranny it has; this could affect value. It looks to be a really solid truck. Did you already check places like the cab corners and under the battery tray for rust? I would love to have a truck that clean. to the site.

Last edited by dave2953; 08-03-2009 at 05:42 PM.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
mclairmo

I agree with dave2953, a little on the high side but really depends on quality of bodywork. If no rust or rust was fixed properly and all you have to do is paint it and run it, then buy it. If it has rust and will need more bodywork, then the price needs to go down accordingly. Also, make sure their are no DMV back fees and make sure seller has title in hand in his name ready to sign over to you. Also, ask for receipts to verify what was done. Get more info on the engine and tranny. Is it all solid? Sounds like it is so far, but it's nice to get the history and/or receipts.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
leddzepp

That price is too high in my opinion. You WILL need a/c here is So Calif, and that in itself is an expensive venture. It is possible that it has no/little rust if it is native to this area. Look around some more, that truck is not going anywhere for $6600.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys.
I agree I WILL need AC. I would buy an all-in-one kit from VIntage Air or some such.

The guy took this truck with another car in trade for his Mini Cooper S from a friend. He CAN find out which engine and trans it is if I ask. I'd frankly be fine with a 327 if thats what it is.

I am skeptical of the rust it MAY have. I don't see an FAQ on the board so where are the most common rust points? I assume rear cab corners, rockers, lower doors and a bit above the windshields? Is that all (in SoCal) or are there other likely spots to look?

If you think it ain't moving fast at $6600 then I don't feel so bad. I had thought of offering him $5k to see what response I get. Thats nothing to sneeze at if you're hurting for cash, which it seems like he is most concerned about because he's already told me he's gotten many trade or trade+cash offers but only wats a cash deal.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Oh, P.S. It had a funky piece of house carpet on the floor so I pulled it up and looked/knocked. It was solid. Remnants of a sort of harvest gold non-mettalic color under there. I was especially concerned where the floor ramps up to the lower firewall and the kick panels. No rust I could see. I had a '57 once that was swiss cheesed in those places - never again.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
leddzepp

You are looking in all the right spots for rust....basically all the low points where water can sit. Also as stated above, look under the battery tray at the front fender, and the drip rail. If the floor is rust free where it meets the kick panels, that is a good sign.

Based on the pics you have posted, $5K is not too bad of an offer (I even think that is a little high in these economic times) and if he needs cash, I think he will take it. Don't pay attention to what he says people offer him. I get "offers" of $2000 almost daily for my SWB.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 08-03-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Zepp. Yeah, the floor/firewall/kick panel area concerned me but I feel fairly good about those now. The part I AM a bit concerned over is the drip rails and if they're bad, above the windshield. Driver's side door speaker hole was empty. I looked/felt around in there and it was dry and non-crusty.

The prior owner painted the cab top white. Its shiny but not especially well done and I can see what looks to me like non-original appearing seam sealer in the gutter. Why would that be; get my drift? I guess if I'm feeling a bit squirrely about it I should move on. Still, a relatively solid starting point.

Just as an aside, do you SoCal guys ever get together to fender-fondle each other's trucks and swap horror stories. If so, when/where?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Just as an aside, do you SoCal guys ever get together to fender-fondle each other's trucks and swap horror stories. If so, when/where?
Yes we do. Just had a board meeting at Smokehouse BBQ in Fullerton. VDOG (Vince) put it together. Here is a link to info, and pics of some of the trucks that were there: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=347545

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

granted I do not live in Cali, but it would be smart to take leddzepp up on his invite. these guys KNOW trucks/K5's and may possibly have leads to trucks for sale in your area.

doesn't hurt to hang out with guys who eat and breathe these rigs.......

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by tcb-1; 08-03-2009 at 06:36 PM.
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
big mike71

If it's what you want and there's nothing wrong with it I say go for it, just offer him 5k and see what happens.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the info. Good to know. My son and some other family live in or near Fullerton, so that is convenient. I notice a few guys in the pictures have some...uh...er..."snow on their rooftops" :>) I might actually fit in! I'll keep an eye out for the next gathering and try to make it. Too bad the BBQ place went out of business. I live in Pasadena, we can always use another BBQ place!

BTW, I'm going out tonight to see a '65 shortbed fleetside. I'm partial to 65/66's cause my Dad had one a long time. But my preference is a 67 shorty fleet. I'll keep looking!