The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
moldymac

New here, have some questions.

Hi everyone. I have 2 C-series Chevys and am in need of some help, really happy I found this board. Let me start by introducing my fleet. The first one on the left is my 85' C20 dually with the 2bbl 305 with 106k miles, which has been in the family for 2 years and became mine a few years ago. The other one on the right is an 82' C30 dually with a 350 4bbl and a 3 speed manual with granny gear (was a wrecker in its earlier days), currently has an unknown milage, shows 56k, but rolled over once or twice. It currently is a work in progress. I traded a beat lawn tractor for it! I recently picked up a dually bed for it to replace the ugly home made bed thats on it now(the new bed is upside down on my 85').

My question is about the 82 C30. The previous owner cut all the vacuum lines out and plugged them with screws. I',m trying to get enough of the lines in to get the major components working like the spark advance on the dist, the climate control, and the choke. The brakes are hydroboost, which leaks and still needs work. I followed the diagram on the air cleaner, but its not too helpful as some parts seem to just end at what seems no where. does anyone have a picture of what the routing is suppose to look like? Also, I have not looked under the rear yet, but has anyone ever removed a wrecker bed off one of these? I don't see any bolts in the bed, but there are steel plates welded everywhere in it. Thanks!

Last edited by moldymac; 08-06-2009 at 10:41 AM.
moldymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
JohnC

Re: New here, have some questions.

I would like to welcome you to the board. We are glad you found this board too. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. As for your questions. I can't help you, but I'm sure someone here will.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

alot of times they cut the frame to put a wrecker bed on it. you may have to do some repairs as to the vacuum a haynes manual should have what you need

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
moldymac

I got a chance to look under the rear, its not too heavily modded. The "bed" is held one with either 4 or 6 bolts through the frame. The fram was chopped, about 6 inches off the back end. But it doesnt look like anything I can't weld on to. I did manage to get some of the vacuum lines hooked up, following what few similarities there were between this one and my 85, which has a ton more line than this. I got the spark advance to work which is a good start.
moldymac is offline   Reply With Quote