The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
kevmic28

Ok need a new engine: need some advice

Engins smokes a little, blowby the rings and the valves a little. Im gonna have about 1500 to 2 grand to spend next month on an engine. What do yall think my best options are?
I have a shop right up the road that will rebuilt it for less than 1200, so unless anyone has any other ideas Ill probably go there. I would like to find one cheaper on Craigslist but I dont want to drop a load on it only to have it blow up on me.
kevmic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
kevmic28

Re: Ok need a new engine: need some advice

Oh yeah 350 and th350 tranny.
It is not the original engine, I think. It has too many accessory pully's on the main crank to be original. I only have a power steering pump and a alternator.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
mclairmo

I would go with the local rebuilder and get a good warranty from him. That way, if it grenades you have a human you can visit and complain to. A mail order engine will be hard to ship back if it blows. Don;t buy a used engine or anything off Craigslist unless you are knowledgeable enough to tell a good one from a boat anchor.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Jim_PA

I like the GM 260HP crate for this type of thing... You could order one, and swap it into your truck in a day or so. No downtime waiting for the rebuild.

There are benefits of using the machine shop, but in some cases, I lean towards new GM engines.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
mclairmo

New GM is always nice but you may have to have it shipped and it will cost more for less power. Your local rebuilder can build it with a lot more power for the cost of the GM 260HP. I prefer to not have to ship engines. I had Speed-O-Motive in my local area build my engine and it was nice to be able to see their machine shop, talk to the guy building my engine and pick it up from them. The customer service was good.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
New GM is always nice but you may have to have it shipped and it will cost more for less power. Your local rebuilder can build it with a lot more power for the cost of the GM 260HP. I prefer to not have to ship engines. I had Speed-O-Motive in my local area build my engine and it was nice to be able to see their machine shop, talk to the guy building my engine and pick it up from them. The customer service was good.
Yep, but it sounded to me like he wasn't building for horsepower, and needed a quick and reliable replacement.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
kevmic28

Yeah Im looking for more about reliability and as a daily driver, so decent gas mileage. My car gets 30 and my last Durango got 12 to 13 on the highway so somewhere in between would be just fine with me.
But being able to spin the tires once in a while would be nice too. The price of 1200 was also installed.
I need to do some research on the shop down the road. They have been in business a long time and they seem to have a steady flow of business so hopefully I can trust them to do a good job.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
cdowns

lots of local GM dealers will match prices of crate engines published online or in print check your local dealership at most a wait of a few days for them to have it in thier store for you to pickup
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
eagleuh1

5.3. Good gas milage, reliable, vendors on site sell headers, mounts, wire harnesses available.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
my67c20

I would be leary of the guy that can do it for $1200. Until you get it apart you never know what you have. Does this include re-doing the heads, timing chain, seals, gaskets, gap checking bearings, rings and the list goes on.

I thought just like and the local shop said about $1500. Well after several weeks, we are up to about $3200. I will be putting in a 383, rebuilt heads, mild cam, 650 double pumper, intake manifold and the list goes on. (my choice and my wifes actually agreeing with me)

Like others have said buy cheap buy twice. If he can do it for $1200 i would recommend getting in writing all that he will be doing for $1200 down to even some small details.

Another option would be to buy some finished heads, master engine kit ($700, 400) other odds and ends. Over a weekend you should be able to pull the engine, quick hone the cylinders. slap new bearings, rings and gaskets in and be good to go.

I know other would say you need to measure everything, and adjust your bearing clearances and ring gaps. If it ain't knocking it will work for a few years.

Or drive it until it eats oil faster than you can keep it in there and save up for a decent crate motor.

By the way might as well change the trans seals, motor mounts, water pump, radiator hoses, fuel lines all at the same time.

In other words don't cheap out and try to rush it, you will not be happy in the long run. Unless you like to be nickel and dimed to death.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
5.3. Good gas milage, reliable, vendors on site sell headers, mounts, wire harnesses available.
x2
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #12
big_al_71

I would go with a crate short block from GM performance.....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
kevmic28

I like the engines from GM Performance but they are a little out of my price range. I have a month to decide what to do and do a little more research. I wont have the money till around september 12th.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
kevmic28

I would rebuild it myself but I am affraid of what I am going to get into once I open it up. I need to find the numbers on the engine and figure out how old it is. Main thing is I cant be without a vehicle for to much time. So its got to be a fast build.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
mrein3

Get a 1996 - 1999 vortec out of a junk yard to start with. Then take it to the local guy and have it rebuilt. Good power, great heads, cheap to rebuild and it is the same block as what you got now.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
kevmic28

I was thinking about maybe the deal on cl right now for the 5.3's in Dallas. They are asking 350 for a comple engine. I figured it was a cheap start on a good rebuild too.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/1303301750.html
Just need the computer and lots of time.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have done a couple of replacement 350 engines from GM into two different trucks. The first was my 1984 GMC truck and the install was back in 1990 (when the engines were called "Targetmaster") Now they are labeled as GM replacment motors. The last one came from the local Chevy dealer---Most large dealers have them behind the counter in their stock rooms. I put that engine in my son's 1986 Chevy truck---we upgraded the cam on his install---that will kill the warranty, but my previous engine, from them, worked so well that we chose to do this and we are not sorry. His truck is still perculating down the road and making good power. My older replacement motor has been gone for quite some time---I pulled it for a 383 stroker motor, which by the way cost more than the replacement engine did from the dealer.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
69GMCLonghorn

When I blew my engine (and I mean GRENADED IT!), I had my engine guy sell me a block and some ZZ4 low compression heads with roller rockers, lopey cam, 4 bolt mains, etc for about $2500. To go BONE STOCK would have still been around $2000. If you have someone that will do it for $1200 INSTALLED, jump all over it!! Hell, even if it only lasts for 3 years, that ain't a bad deal! I've spent more than that on ONE REPAIR on my Grand Cherokee!
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #19
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
I would be leary of the guy that can do it for $1200. Until you get it apart you never know what you have. Does this include re-doing the heads, timing chain, seals, gaskets, gap checking bearings, rings and the list goes on.

I thought just like and the local shop said about $1500. Well after several weeks, we are up to about $3200. I will be putting in a 383, rebuilt heads, mild cam, 650 double pumper, intake manifold and the list goes on. (my choice and my wifes actually agreeing with me)

Like others have said buy cheap buy twice. If he can do it for $1200 i would recommend getting in writing all that he will be doing for $1200 down to even some small details.

Another option would be to buy some finished heads, master engine kit ($700, 400) other odds and ends. Over a weekend you should be able to pull the engine, quick hone the cylinders. slap new bearings, rings and gaskets in and be good to go.

I know other would say you need to measure everything, and adjust your bearing clearances and ring gaps. If it ain't knocking it will work for a few years.

Or drive it until it eats oil faster than you can keep it in there and save up for a decent crate motor.

By the way might as well change the trans seals, motor mounts, water pump, radiator hoses, fuel lines all at the same time.

In other words don't cheap out and try to rush it, you will not be happy in the long run. Unless you like to be nickel and dimed to death.
I think that as long as you get a written warranty and the guy has been around a long time and you trust him, go for it. That is a good price, installed. And yes, an engine can be properly rebuilt for that price if the rebuilder chooses to do so. As others have said, make sure you get a detailed proposal from him that includes everything needed so there are no hidden costs and be up front with him and tell him, you will not pay for anything he forgot to add, unless it it was an unforseeable expense. However, an installer should know he will need a new water pump, hoses, belts, clamps, fuel lines, plugs, filters, oil, wires, cap, rotors, etc.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #20
kevmic28

Thanks for the input yall. Im leaning towards the rebuild but the gm performance stock engine is a close second.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

On the choices you have there is one important thing to remember.You aren't that far from Scoggins-Dickey in Lubbock.OOps it is a bit further than I thought.They usually have some great buys on crate engines and parts.You might look into them if you decide to go for a crate.Shipping may be more than a trip over there.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-06-2009 at 05:38 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #22
kevmic28

yeah they are about a 8 or 9 hour drive each way, Kinda a long drive but hey for the right price.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #23
Chada

I just had my 350 rebuilt. All the guy could reuse was the block. It was a previously cheapo rebuild. Did not even have matching heads. Whole motor was toast. Total rebuild including new dart heads and a new harmonic balancer bored 30 over for 1550. Painted chevy orange. One year warranty.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #24
packers05

If it sounds to good to be true it is. Think for yourself and do what is best for you and let the machine shop do what they do,machine work. Buy a book or flip a mechanic worth his weight a 100 bill to put it together, Add up all of the misc parts you will want on your new engine. Warranty"s are overrated, if the parts are machined right a caveman could build it reliably! Crate motors have there fans but I only install them in late model stuff,stockers. Take pride and do it your self with some effort and the right questions you can build a motor with the personallity you want for less than a crate.Oh yeah dont forget to get break in additive with a flat tappet and then run diesel app oil after that.
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #25
LEEVON

$1200 rebuilt and installed? No brainer if you're looking for a good stock-ish replacement and don't want to spend much time on it. A used engine will be maybe $500 if you're lucky, then you'll spend a couple days cleaning it up, plus another $200-300 on gaskets and seals and tune-up crap so why bother?

If you want to roast the tires now and then just get a higher stall speed converter while you're in there.