The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
jor

Arizona Emissions

87 Suburban 5.7L, TBI

Just looking for a little help getting my burb through Tucson emissions. It has passed before but this year has failed twice with High loaded HC and high idle CO. After it failed the first time I gave it a quick tune up (plugs, PCV, oil & filter, air filter), Seafoam directly into the intake and a gallon of denatured alcohol in the gas tank. I'm trying to get it through emissions so I can give it to my daughter. Thanks.
jor

LOADED HC PPM: 195 (100 is passing)
CO IDLE %: 1.56 (1.2 is passing)
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Orange77

Re: Arizona Emissions

did you run it through emissions after you did all that to it? i had a similar problem when i went to emissions all i did was add an octane booster in the tank and tuned the carb a lil better but seein as you have TBI im not sure how youd go about that. my cousin had a problem with his 82 stepside and my uncle told him to add alcohol to the tank too and he passed
Orange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
tomtuna1978

dose the check engine light come on? you might have a code for a o2 sensor or somthing else. id check the codes, and maybe check the cataliac converter for rattling or coming apart,might need a new cat. .... just my 2 cents
tomtuna1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
jor

Yea, after it failed the first time I did all that and it failed again. No check engine light and the cat seems fine. I replaced the O2 sensor last year. I have an old F-100 which of course is carburated. No problem with that one as I just lean it out, retard the timing and add some alcohol but with the TBI, I'm not sure what to do beyond what I have already. Not sure what the octane booster would do. I was thinking of cruising the auto stores looking for additives. One thing I forgot to mention. This 5.7L has bad valve guide seals and smokes at idle sometimes. I put new seals in last year (both umbrella and the other) and it was great for a couple of months, then started up again. Grrrrr... Thanks.
jor

Last edited by jor; 08-10-2009 at 09:34 PM.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Orange77

your probably still burning enough oil to mess up your emissions test and the octane booster burns the gas better like higher rated octane gas does. i think its the 104 octane booster that raises it 3 octane points so i put the highest rated gas at the pump and that to have "96" octane gas so that it burns better and more completely to lower the emissions. at least that works for me.
Orange77 is offline   Reply With Quote