The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2003, 11:40 AM   #1
Chevy67Tk

Question Engine & Trans. Swap

OK I’m new to the board and bet this question been asked a 100+ times already but hears the deal, my 67 LWB ¾ ton has a 6-cyl with a 3 speed manual. I want to put a small block in it with a TH400 in the truck. The block is due out of the machine shop next week and the transmission is scattered over my workbench waiting on a new intermediate clutch drum. So this weekend would be a good time to look for some of the other parts I need to do this swap.

I’m guessing some of the major parts are engine mounts (the part that’s on the frame), transmission cross member, what year/model ranges will work with this swap and are they available after market? What other items do I need to start looking for?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
rangernsk

The frame mounts are the same for a I6 and a small block, the location on the frame is different.
rangernsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

You might need another driveshaft, have you took any measurements yet? Also, will your steering column still work or are you going to use an aftermarket floor shifter? If you use a column shifter, you'll need the automatic shifter linkage. You're obviously going to need new exhaust and that's about all I can think of at the moment.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:30 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The engine towers are the same only if you have a 250, if you have a 292, one of them will not work (not sure which one is the goofy one though).
You'll need brackets and such for all your accesorys. If your alt is on the passenger side on that inline, then you're in luck and you can get the more common set up and a long water pump. If your alt is on the drivers side, you'll need to search for the proper set up, or rewire it to go on the other side (which is pretty easy to do..I just did on my 425 swap).
Your rad will need replaced with one that has a cooler, or add an aftermarket cooler. A shroud is very nice, and in some trucks seems to be a necesity. Don't forget to figure in cooler lines.
As mentioned before, shifting provisions need to be made, and I would go with a van tilt, or an aftermarket floor shifter just becouse truck shifters pretty much suck.
Your drive shaft will most likely need worked on, or if you can find a shaft out of a similar set up in a wrecking yard, that'll work too. (notice the length of the tranny tail shaft when scrounging)
The trany cross member will be needed, and it'll swap out of any 67 - 72 pick up with an automatic. Even some of the step vans have the same cross member. If you get one from a one ton or larger, you will not need the little spavers that take up the added space from the height of the one ton frame. (if you see one, you'll know what I am talking about)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #5
BobM

I'm doing the same thing with a 71 LWB 1/2 ton. However, I'm putting in a 700R4 tranny. Everything is pretty much bolting right in. Replaced the I6 towers with SB towers and moving them up to the SB frame position. You have a choice here with staying with the I6 location, but the engine and distributor is quite close to the firewall.
With the 700R4 I'm using the original drive shaft is the right length. Picked up a cross member and towers at a wrecker for $20 bucks.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:34 PM   #6
Chevy67Tk

Thanks for the info all

I’m planning on using a floor shifter in place of a column set up and replacing the whole column at a later date. I have a 4 core radiator with out a trans. Cooler my plan is now that the truck is no longer a daily driver is to install a stand a lone cooler, and if need be a thermostatic valve. Was wondering about the drive shaft if I could get away with a yoke change guess I better get the tape measure out again.

Cool the 250 mounts will work I wasn’t sure just starring at them, that leave the cross member witch I’ll do some searching for this weekend. Was planning on switching over to a single wire alternator nothing wrong with the external regulator setup just more amperage to run things like electric fans.

Many thanks again

PS this forum rules……………