The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
drumdoc

Bucket seats for 71 c20

I have a 71 custom camper 20 that needs a new seat. Does anyone know if there is a high back bucket seat with center console out of any other newer(than 71) chevy truck, suburban, van, etc. that would be a direct bolt on. Keeping the original behind the seat gas tank in it would be a plus. I dont have the money for a new seat and have found seats on craigs list for a fraction of the cost. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
drumdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: Bucket seats for 71 c20

I just bought one for $10 here in SD. However, I cannot figure out what it originally came in. Some guy had it in a 64 Chevy Truck but it was not original to it. Has high backs and looks like buddy buckets but the fold down console has cup holders, two arm rests and a little compartment with flip up door on it. Sorry, no pics right now. Not sure if it will bolt in to my 68 with no drilling of new holes. It's 60 inches wide. When I find out what this is and get pics, I will post here.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Buddy Buckets or Factory Bucket/Console sets for 67-72 trucks are the only seats that are a "direct" bolt-in like you requested. However seats from just about any full-sized pickup can be bolted in, if you're willing to drill some new holes and possibly fab up some spacers or what not.
I personally installed high back buckets w/ integrated shoulder belts and center jump seat/console set out of an '03 Silverado Crew-Cab. A little measuring, a couple spacers fabbed out of tubing, some grade-8 bolts and reinforcing plates and that's all it took. About 3/hrs. total to get everything installed....including wiring for powered adjustments. Here's a pic of what they look like.
Name:  B2 Interior.JPG
Views: 1919
Size:  51.6 KB
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
drumdoc

Your seats are what im looking for. I found another thread stating that if you didnt mind the seat moving like a bench, you could mount it on the original bracket. Do think thats possible. I really dont want to drill into the floorboard. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Yeah, seats themselves unbolt from the tracks & motors- so I'm sure it's feasible to re-mount them to a factory bench frame. You might have to fab up some flat bar / angle iron brackets to get the seat bolted to the frame....but that shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
pmpski_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
Buddy Buckets or Factory Bucket/Console sets for 67-72 trucks are the only seats that are a "direct" bolt-in like you requested. However seats from just about any full-sized pickup can be bolted in, if you're willing to drill some new holes and possibly fab up some spacers or what not.
I personally installed high back buckets w/ integrated shoulder belts and center jump seat/console set out of an '03 Silverado Crew-Cab. A little measuring, a couple spacers fabbed out of tubing, some grade-8 bolts and reinforcing plates and that's all it took. About 3/hrs. total to get everything installed....including wiring for powered adjustments.

Dingfodgy - you moved your gas tank, yeah?
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
drumdoc

Another excellent question. I just started working on this truck and have tons of questions. The truck also needs to be driven daily so I was looking for as little mod as possible. I really dont want to replace the gas tank. I did want to replace the lap belts with the 3 point belt but all applications seem to need another hole drilled. It makes the bucket with integrated belts even more appealing. I think a trip to the salvage yard, tape measure, and a buddy to weld an adaptor for the seat may be the only answer. Or I could just shell out $600.00-$1800.00 for a new seat with adaptors (NOT going happen). I really do appreciate all of the input anyone is willing to give.

Thanks