The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
wahlie

control arm shims(u shaped)????

Guys,
I've got a question before I put my new control arms on. There were a bunch of shims between the chassis and the upper control arms. They kinda look like pancaked tuning forks. Anyway, is there a set amount that should be on each bolt because some of mine have rusted away/looks to maybe have fallen off. also, can I just use stainless washers instead of the u shaped spacers? If not, does anyone sell these?

thanks,
Chris
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

Re: control arm shims(u shaped)????

I suppose you could, but the advantage to the shape of those originals is that you don't have to completely remove the nut to take them out or add them. If you had washers installed, this wouldn't be the case. Also, it's been my experience that once everything is together, it isn't that easy to get the nuts loose that hold them in place. Mind you, my truck has a mutt disc front end that is from a few different trucks, so a factory truck may be different). I haven't seen those factory shims for sale, but I also haven't been in the market for them. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon in regards to availability.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Any parts store will stock the shims. They come in bulk boxes. Tell them you want alignment shims.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

LMC Truck has them. Just click on link below. But TXfirefighter is right. check locally.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/t.aspx?Page=141

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)

Last edited by unclewatts; 08-14-2009 at 10:21 PM.
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
wahlie

awesome. thanks guys.
wahlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

don't stress about it too much, when you go in to get an alignment done, they alignment guy will install the correct amount. Thats the only reason they are there.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
mclairmo

You must use the proper U shaped alignment shims or the alignment shop will have to remove the upper arms to align the front end, costing more money. Also, put back the same number of shims you took out to get the alignment close until you drive to the alignment shop.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
don't stress about it too much, when you go in to get an alignment done, they alignment guy will install the correct amount. Thats the only reason they are there.

+1 The alignment shop will have to add or remove shims at any rate. It is very seldom that one can get things that close to perfect while putting it back together at home. Just clean the shims you have up and put them back in where they go. If you marked each shim pack when you tore the front end down, so much the better. If you are totally anal about having shiny new shims go buy shiny new shims but I can guarantee that 99.9 of the alignment mechanics out there will install used shims unless they don't have that size or you specifically request new shims. Then expect that "oh crap" look from the mechanic.

As a side note, when I was doing alignments daily I kept a hog pan full of shims that I removed from vehicles and used in other vehicles or the other side of the same vehicle. I ordered new shims as I needed them when I was low on certain thicknesses or sizes.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote