The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Big-Blue

Easy way to cheat a fuel pump?

She starts if I pour a little gas down the carb but wont keep running. I am assuming clogged fuel line or bad fuel pump. I just need to drive her up the drive and into the garage. Is there a way to cheat the fuel pump so she is getting enough gas. Redneck tank on top of the carb? Not sure what that means but I have a picture of it in my head...looks dangerous
Big-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Easy way to cheat a fuel pump?

Long answer......

Yep, it's dangerous unless you rig up a small metal tank mounted somewhere out of the way.

But, why go through all the trouble? Fuel pumps are cheap. Around $15-$20 I think.

To test, remove the fuel line going to the carb and insert it into a large plastic bottle. Have someone crank the engine while you watch to see if you're getting gas. It should be a pretty strong squirt with each revolution.

Further testing you can do, but at your own risk...

If your fuel pump doesn't have a fairly strong squirt, remove the intake side of the fuel line to the pump and insert a short section of fuel line (3 feet should do it) on the intake extension. Insert the other end into a 1 gallon container with gasoline placed under the truck. Have someone crank the truck and see if it starts that way.

If it starts, then you know you have a clogged fuel line from the tank to the pump. Start by making sure the line from the tank to the fuel line is not clogged. It's easier to check. Then check the fuel sender inside the tank.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
pritch

One time, many years ago I had a blazer. It had some wierd carb on it that was supposed to get better milage. I don't know about that, but I found out the hard way that when the thing got on more than a certain angle it would cut the fuel off. Maybe it just wasn't working right, I don't know. But my friend and I were 4 wheelin' and ended up down in a hole. The road out either way was too steep and long enough that the carb would run out of gas. After several hours of thinking about how to get out, we decided to try propane. At the bottom of the hill, I got the truck running and then my friend walked along side with a weed burner, not burning, aimed into the carb. Worked like a champ.

I'm not sayin' nothing, I'm just sayin'...
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Why not just fix it?It`s either the fuel pump or the carb.Heck,it could be a clogged fnled filter.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-14-2009 at 08:38 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
....... After several hours of thinking about how to get out, we decided to try propane. At the bottom of the hill, I got the truck running and then my friend walked along side with a weed burner, not burning, aimed into the carb. Worked like a champ. I'm not sayin' nothing, I'm just sayin'...
Sometimes he just ain't ready for you ----------
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #6
bigbadjohn84

I have tied a small tank under the front frame horn and run fuel line straight into the tank before due to having water in both tanks. just to move it around and make sure everything was still working mind you. lol it was a site
bigbadjohn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Big-Blue

Good stuff GMSEE!

I just needed to move it up the drive and I needed to do it quickly. Didn't have the time to find the clog or replace the pump. Also, not sure I want to replace the pump as the engine is coming out since it has seen better days.

Ended up grabbing four neighbors who had the misfortune of being outside and we pushed it.

Thanks everyone!
Big-Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

We had a truck with a new carb die in the middle of the Carlisle Trucks show.It was the in carb filter (brand new with carb) that was the culprit.It was quicker to remove that than rig some sort of diversion.We had no choice.The filter was faulty with the ball check cocked.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #9
Bullseye54

If you have an outboard motor tank w/hose hook the hose to the carb & use the primer bulb to fill the float bowl.It will run as long as you pump bulb to keep float bowl full.Be easy on squeezing bulb so you dont over pressure the float................done this several times. Bob