The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
noonzor

My First Frame Off Resto/Build

Im starting my first frame off build on my 1969 lwb c10 i just bought and im looking for some help in guiding me for how to get started.

So far what i know is i want to be able to drag the truck due to my addiction and love of racing (@ the track only of course), while still having it be street legal. Im not looking to be able to daily drive this truck, nor take it on long roadtrips. But i would like it to be comfortable to drive around the city from show to show, and on the 45minute drive out to the local track.

Ive spent years as an automotive and heavy duty mechanic and am capable of doing MOST of the work myself. But a few helpful pointers to get started would most definitly be appreciated!!

Thankyou!!

Kyle N.
noonzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Ackattack

Re: My First Frame Off Resto/Build

I'm building my 68 for basically the same purpose.

Alls I can say is it will probably cost twice as much and take twice as long as you plan.

I've been working on my truck for over 2 years now and have NEVER driven it. I don't know that I will ever do another body off restoration. I fixed up my 72 GMC over the years but pretty much always kept it on the road. I thought that was more fun.

Good luck!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
mclairmo

It's ok to race it but be sure that you build it so it can make it out to the track on that 45 minute drive without overheating or breaking down. Race cars often do very poorly on the street. Its hard to build a multipurpose vehicle that can drive the streets with no problems at all and still pound the track. Personally, I would build it more for the street so you can enjoy driving it while still taking it to the track once in awhile.

Last edited by mclairmo; 08-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
noonzor

Yeah I understand the time, dedication and budget for a project like this, ive made peace with the fact that this is going to be a good 5yrs before I get to slam some gears in it. But, I have just as much fun working on trucks as I do driving them so I have no problem with that haha.

As for the multipurpose vehicle I do agree, overheating, being overgeared, and of course fuel consumption are always big problems. But I would much rather go more race then street. Ive got a daily driver truck and trailer already.

Thnx for the input!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have to dissagree on the street/strip thing.There are too many cars being built that do both well.It is a combination of parts,overall combination and cubic $$$ that build street strip cars(or trucks).
The big thing is to look at it as "Do I want a strip truck I can drive on the street?" or "Do I want a street truck I can race?"
The power aspect for a vehicle that does both well is usually big cubic inches and a power adder.Using an overdrive tranny with low gears puts it back in the street friendly(if not hiway friendly)rpm range.The amount of comfort "you" require also comes into play.If you need A/C,PS,PB and a mega stereo to make it street friendly then you need more power to make the extra weight go fast.
Overall I would think the first step would be to determine exactly how you want to use the truck and what are absolute necessities and what stuff you can do without.Come up with an overall plan and stick to it.the changes can get expensive fast.

A good place to see some examples of some great street/strip performers is to look over the rides running "Hot Rods" drag week.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I was thinking about this as I did my sat.am walk thru the JY.I did come up with some suggestions for making the truck a bit quicker.
1.Check into using a "Porterbuilt crossmember.It has the advantage of being smallrer and I assume lighter than the factory setup and also driver friendly with rack and pinion.Of course tubular control arms and such would also lighten the front end.
2.Look for 3/4 ton trailing arms if you're not going to a 4 link.They are reinforced.Or reinforce yours.
3.Check to see if the roll bar needs to be in the cab or if it can be a outside unit.Space is at a premium in these trucks.
4.Fuel cell and battery behind the rear wheels.
5.U.S.Bodyworks makes a tilt fibreglas front clip.It's a competetion only piece but might work with some structural bracing for minimal street use.Check for doors also.
5.A big cube engine(smallblocks can go to about 454 nowdays with an aftermarket block) with tranny of your choice and a gearvendor OD setup.You could probably get away with a 4.56 gear ratio for racing and be somewhere around a 3:73 for street(I didn't do the math)
6.I would think for power and street manners a turbo and Fuel injection would be the way to go.
7.If you really want to go "whole hog" you could drive the truck while building up the drivetrain and at the same time be building a custom tubular frame.
8.Run the biggest 4 core radiator and electric fans you can fit in there.And a seperate tranny cooler and maybe oil cooler to help "beat the heat"
These are just some things I would do if I were to build a serious street/strip truck and had the cubic $$$'s to do so.Much of this assumes you have the welding skills or a way to aquire them and the skills to implement major changes in the whole truck.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-15-2009 at 09:22 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
big_al_71

Good luck with your build...as other have mentioned budget your self then multiply times two I guarantee you this as it happened to me when we built mine. You can have the best of three worlds able to drive it, able to race it and able to show it...that is what I did when we built mine.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
turp mcspray

Before you remove ANYTHING take lots of pics! As you remove a part take close up pics of how it mounts, any special bolts that it has, which wire went where, etc. After a few months of being apart even things that seem simple will make you scratch your head or ass trying to remember how it goes together. Also if you keep a notebook and as a part comes off, right down if you need to replace it with new, used, or just repaint it. That way when it is all tore apart you know what needs to be bought, what needs to be fixed etc. Also if something has to come apart in a certain order make yourself some notes. That way when you put your dash all together, you don't have to take it back apart because the dashpad has to go on first. (just an example) The more pics and notes you have, the easier it will be to put it back together. Good luck. It will be a very rewarding experiance!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
noonzor

Thanks For The Tips Guys!

Yeah im keeping a notebook and pictures, as well as seperately bagging and labelling bolts and fasteners as i take them off.

Unfortunately the truck was already 90% apart when i got it, the entire interior had been gutted/all wiring/engine bay. the only intact area was the chassis. frame and suspension had till now been totally intact. but i just stripped some and shortened the frame last nite, pics up soon!!

Just wondering what people are running for their rear suspension set-up. im looking at a either one of these two kits........

http://www.ridetech.com/products/Che...s-931-928.html

OR

http://www.ridetech.com/products/Air...s-1299-77.html
Old 08-15-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
cdowns

most important thing in any sucessful build is BEFORE doing anything get yourself a realistic budget and a plan to the build
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote