The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #1
grebus1

Question Where is stock needle at normal temp?

I know this has been discussed before, but no one seems to have the definitive answer. Where is the stock temp gauge needle supposed to be when the engine is at normal temp? At the first mark or in the middle? Is there any literature (owner's manual, shop manual) that documents this? Mine used to read at the first mark but I had to replace the sender and now it reads half way. The sender came from LectricLimited and is supposed to be properly calibrated.

BTW, the gauge on my '99 Cadillac reads dead in the middle at normal temp.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a definitive answer. There is a lot of variability from vehicle to vehicle.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

What is the temp of your thermostat? The factory thermostat was rated at 195 degrees. If you are running a 180 degree thermostat the coolant temp will be lower so you'll have the needle on the lower end of the scale. I run a early 70's volvo temp sender which put the needle right in the middle at 180 degrees. Late 60's chevrolet trucks used an oddball Ohm value temp sender and its difficult to find one of the right value when using a 180 degree thermostat. All the factory replacement senders are calibrated for a coolant temp of 195.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
nroden

On mine the first mark is where it is at until it warms up enough to switch to the slow idle... happens almost instantly. At this point is when I start driving it since its warmed up. Then the 2nd mark is where it stays right at after about 5 minutes of driving.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #5
nroden

On mine the first mark is where it is at until it warms up enough to switch to the slow idle... happens almost instantly. At this point is when I start driving it since its warmed up. Then the 2nd mark is where it stays right at after about 5 minutes of driving.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 11:30 PM   #6
nroden