The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
StreetStalker

General Questions.

Alright, so i'm new to this site, and new to the physical trucks themselves. All I know is that I've had a liking to this body style since I was very young. I've finally began searching for a truck for my project. However, being a university student my finances are not much.

I've found a local with a lot of property with a bunch or different vehicles. I will post pictures of the three trucks that he has on his property shortly.

First, I should explain what I want my final product to look like:

I want to find a Short Box fleet side truck and the end product would be clean and classy, as an example I found this picture from someone on this site.

Now, Here are the three trucks that I've found on this lot. One of them is in rough shape, but certain things like the rad support etc could be salvaged along with the front fenders and front clip. The second one is in borderline fair condition, however, it a 2wd longbox frame the cab, fenders and front clip are in decent condition. Lastly, the third truck is in the best shape, the body is in good condition, floor isn't rotten, cab corners are decent, only surface rust interior is good except for the bench seat (not worried about that.) However, the one downside is that its a 4x4 but its a Short Box which is what I want. Here are the pics, sorry for the quality, they are from my phone.

1st Truck (General parts truck):

2nd Truck (truck with 2wd front suspension components):

3rd Truck(keeper truck):

The 3rd truck would be the body style I want, can someone clarify the year that it would be. Thanks. (Mind you the front end styling of the GMC in the 2nd truck pics would look nice)

Here are some majors questions I want to ask:

1). What would be the best way of modifying the frame/suspension components on the keeper truck from the 4x4 set up to a 2wd set up?

2). Can I take the front suspension parts off of the 2wd longbox and swap them out on the keeper trucks frame? What problems will I face when doing this? If its not worth doing, what is the best route to go from here?

3). If transferring the suspension parts is impossible, what company makes a systems that works on these trucks front ends? Similar to the nova fronts end systems, or mustang II front ends used in other situations.

4). I'm currently attempting to build my knowledge with air bag set ups, I will admit i'm still very wet behind the ears in this regards. Does anyone know of a good information site?

5). What is the best suspension set-up for my needs: Mostly a street driver, will maybe one trip to local drag races, looking for quality, durability, dependability, and overall looks.?

Finally, I guess I should explain my goal, originally when I saw them I started thinking that simply swapping the 2wd suspension parts onto the 4x4 frame while removing the front transfer case, etc. could in the end provide me with the shortbox 2wd frame I want. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you have. Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
StreetStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
mclairmo

Re: General Questions.

None of those options look good to me. My best advice (assuming you have limited time, money and experience) is to save up your pennies for a 2wd short bed, even if it does not run. To properly swap bodies and frames can be tough to do correctly and you can end up with funky body alignment issues.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
StreetStalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
None of those options look good to me. My best advice (assuming you have limited time, money and experience) is to save up your pennies for a 2wd short bed, even if it does not run. To properly swap bodies and frames can be tough to do correctly and you can end up with funky body alignment issues.
Understandable, I neglected to mention that I work as a Service Advisor for a local Garage with every tool, hoists, mechanics that are available to me. One of which is a good friend who is a Paint and Body tech who owns a professional custom autobody shop when he isn't working at the shop. So doing the body swaps wouldn't be as hard as it originally seemed. I definitely wouldn't even consider asking these questions if I didn't work where I do, and know who I know with thier automotive knowledge.

Your opinion does make sense and it still might not make sense to do it the way i'm asking. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by StreetStalker; 08-18-2009 at 04:58 PM.
StreetStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

As a general rule,it is easier to start with the best example(Bodywise at least) of what you really want.Even a "deal" on bodywork will be one of the most costly things to do to a Chevrolet.Rust is expensive to fix period.Parts and labor can quickly add up to more than a better body would cost to begin with.
Trim and accessories will also add up quick so if you plan on using them then the better you have to start with the better off you will be.
I think a good 2 wd frame and maybe even the bodies you have shown might be a good start for a full on smoothed out ride but you are still looking at a lot of work.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
mclairmo

Personally, I would buy the 4x4 and keep it a 4x4. It would make an awesome rock climber.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
powell72

Buy the nicest and most complete running truck you can afford. That's the best advise I can give, I would pass on all those trucks. You won't save any money in the long run buying a cheap partial truck.

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #7
BAGNDRAGIT
Just Not Low Enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powell72 View Post
Buy the nicest and most complete running truck you can afford. That's the best advise I can give, I would pass on all those trucks. You won't save any money in the long run buying a cheap partial truck.
you said it best powell
1967 Chevy C-10 Shortbox Bagged 327 4spd
Previous:
1971 Chevy C-10 Short Sep I6 Auto (Traded)
1973 Chevy C-20 *THE REDNECK BATTLE TRUCK*
2001 Chevy Silverado 2Dr 5.3L Shortbox. R.I.P.
1969 Volkswagen Bug
This is my first meeting, I have a horsepower problem.
BAGNDRAGIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Personally, I would buy the 4x4 and keep it a 4x4. It would make an awesome rock climber.
i dont think a 4x4 is gonna have that stance the pic above has, lol.

find the most complete, rust free truck you can, and build off of that. non running isnt an issue since your probably gonna pull the motor anyways. thats my advice...good luck with your new project!
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
threeonthetree

man i could use the fenders off that blue one.

1969 c10 AKA SIN

1985 SSWB TRAZER
(super short wheel base)
threeonthetree is offline   Reply With Quote