The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
jlcelaya

Re: voltage drop.electrical experts helpppp?

took starter to autozone they tested it and it was good. bought a new solenoid and installed it.welll see what happens now. will keep posted.Thanks for all the help guys. this is my first c10. moved over from a 5.0 mustang to a c10 and loving it. will post picture.
jlcelaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #27
jlcelaya

72 350 4bb th350
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #28
jlcelaya

Attached Images

Old 08-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
fixit-p

Nice lookin truck looks nice and straight in the pics any future plans on any altitude adjustments?

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #30
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcelaya View Post
ran a jumper wire from the purple wire to the batt +. started the first 3 times but then started to crank but didnt turn on after the 3rd try.
I'm not understanding completely. Did the engine start? Or did it just turn over? Could be that the starter will spin on the becnh but not actually have enough power to turn over the engine.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
jlcelaya

the engine started the first 3 times and then after the third it just cranked but didnt star.that with jumper from purple to + battery.

yeah. planning on doing a 3/5 drop. but right now doing some research on rear tires. im looking for the largest 275/60/15 i can get. mickey thompson discontinued idy style s/s tires L60 15 seems to be the one right now. they are equivalent to 275/60/15 with allowing rims from 7 to 10 inch. summit seems to carry those still. section width varies with the rim width you use. with 10 in wheel section with is 13''. so im thinking of using 7 or 8 rim width. also does anyone know whats the wheel width of the stock wheels on these trucks?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #32
Diablo de la Noche

Another $.02 (what are we up to? $1?) I have had a similar problem in the past. Turns out the positive cable sucked up battery acid and corroded inside the insulation. Just grab hold of the positive cable and try to bend it. It sould be nice and plyable. If it is solid, that could be your current draw. It's probably hot after you try to start the engine, too. The cables are cheap and easy to install if that turns out to be your problem.
Diablo de la Noche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcelaya View Post
the engine started the first 3 times and then after the third it just cranked but didnt star.that with jumper from purple to + battery.

yeah. planning on doing a 3/5 drop. but right now doing some research on rear tires. im looking for the largest 275/60/15 i can get. mickey thompson discontinued idy style s/s tires L60 15 seems to be the one right now. they are equivalent to 275/60/15 with allowing rims from 7 to 10 inch. summit seems to carry those still. section width varies with the rim width you use. with 10 in wheel section with is 13''. so im thinking of using 7 or 8 rim width. also does anyone know whats the wheel width of the stock wheels on these trucks?
On the 4th time, when it just cranked, did it crank quickly or slowly? Starting to sound like a weak starter motor to me. As they start to go out, they often work intermittently. I don't think rebuilts cost much and if you are buying new solenoids, it seems cheaper in the long run to just buy a rebuilt with a new solenoid already installed and eliminate that as a problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #34
jlcelaya

battery cable bends easily not hard at all. well i installed a new solenoid to just get that out of the way, maybe last one came bad. it is the original starter. when it crancked the fourth time it was slowly.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #35
mclairmo

Also, bear in mind that cranking the starter a lot without letting it cool down in between will kill it. I know b/c I did that to one before.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #36
jlcelaya

well seems to have fixed the problem after changed solenoid. truck turns on everytime with ac and lights and radio on. havent been able to fail me. so i guess the solenoid was bad. but another thing is after i put in the new solenoid the ac went out. i checked the a/c fuse and it was fried. so i was thinking could it been possible that the a/c fuse was going bad or shortin somehow that i would be pulling that extra current to not allow it to start. what you guys think?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #37
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

a/c wouldn't have anything to do with the starting issue
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote