The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2009, 11:05 AM   #126
pig rig

Re: previous owner funny fixes?

ive bought and sold and even scraped a lot of cars and trucks over the years so Ive seen lots of inovative type fixes
on my firs car a 61 falcon wagon the po had copper tubing running from the oil pump to the valve cover to pump oil to the top end and a return copper line to drain the oil out when the valve train was full

Ive seen chicken wire rolled up and shoved in rusted out quarters and covered with bondo along with wood screws all over in a caved in quarter panel with about a 1/4 inch sticking out so the inch and half plus bondo had somthing to grab hold of

Ive seen about a foot and half of allthread used as a reciver pen on a hitch (no nuts just bent around the hich its self)
when I was in high school I was really in to vw bugs and living in washington the best place to pick up a old bug was out on the islands where all the hippys/wantbe carpenters with no money retreated to so you found lots of wood screws and carpentry work to fix things and for some reson they all had to rewire the cars so you always had lots of extra wires most were always live and romex house wire was the choice or old extention cords
I had one bug that you had to have the radio and the lights on to get the wipers to work and if the lights werent on the radio would fad out as the wipers moved up their arc once they hit the to the radio would come back on until they hit the bottom
I just scraped a 78 chev truck that had 2x4's under the bed to replace the cross braces on the bed and to hold it up becuse it was all rusted out along with inch and half heavy walled pipe for body bushings (not a body lift just bushings)
I worked with a guy that was known to drink a lot I'm talking alot even by an alcoholics standerds any ways the drivers side floor in his old buick was rusted out and being he over slept every day to save time getting ready in the morning he would wait untill he was on his way to work to go pee! yep move the floor mat and their you go and he made no bones about it as if it was what every one did
the more I set here and think the more I could just keep going on

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #127
Gibson

Smile Re: previous owner funny fixes?

My radiator was (still is, actually) held on with black zip ties.

The vacuum line that should go to the PCV valve went to the brake booster for some reason. The brake booster port on the carb was plugged. There was no PCV valve anywhere. (I only figured this out with help from the board!)

The lead to the starter had been cut, and then lengthened with a cord from a lamp. The ends had been twisted together, covered in bubble gum, then wrapped in electrical tape. The wire for the sender on the fuel tank got the same treatment.

The lower center chrome trim piece on the grille is ziptied on.
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #128
pig rig

I just rememberd a couple more I had a late 70's camaro with a th350 that would run hot when I checked the dipstick I seen a bunch of white grit in the burned trans fluid well once I dropped the pan it was full of this stuff so I cleaned it out and put a new filter and fluid in astarted to take it for a drive but it wouldn't hardly move out of the drive way I'm holding the peddle in the carpet and the engine is reving and cleaning carbon out of the cylinders so I called a buddy over that lived down the street and with one look at the stuff I cleaned out of the pan "got a slipping problem in the trany?"
"I can tell by all the comet that was used to get alittle bite"

then the time I picked up a 66 nova after driving it daily for a month or so I got a wild hair to check the rear end oil
stuck my finger in the fill hole. and why the hell is there sawdust in it? so I pulled the dif cover to see its packed with sawdust so I CLEAN IT OUT! bad move after I got it back together I drove it to a cabnet shop and got a 5gal bucket of sawdust to put back in. it howled so bad I couldnt hear the radio
I had a V8 vega that the th400 didnt fit so the po cut out the parts of the trans tunnel that hit so when I dropped the trans I could see the back side of the carpet

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG

Last edited by pig rig; 08-20-2009 at 09:24 PM.
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #129
TheSunDanceKid

like box packing tape was used to wire the stereo and to hold the radio in a measuring school ruler was used to wedge between the deck and the metal to hold it in the dash also electrical tape to hold the starter wire on to the starter ive seen a while ago a stereo wired were they covered the bare wire with HOT GLUE now this is just bad and non the less i live in ARIZONA very hot here not such a good fix my neighbor one time used speaker wire to hold is carrier barring bracket for the drive shaft up worked for 5miles got him all the way home

pig rig there was actually an episode of The Andy Griffith show where the saw dust was used in a car barny had bought

EPISODE - 090

"BARNEY'S FIRST CAR"

Barney Fife has a dream of owning a car. He excitedly decides to spend his
$30 life savings to purchase a used car. When he spots an ad for a 1954 Ford sedan
he quickly places a call. An elderly lady named Mrs. Lesh is selling the car. She
claims the car was used sparingly and suggests that Barney take it for a test drive.
Andy agrees and they also suggest that he have Wally at the filling station take a
look at it. However, Barney is too excited for such precautions and puts his trust in
Mrs. Lesh's claims. When Mrs. Lesh overhears a conversation Barney has about
how much money he has, she coldly calculates her price tag. She tells Barney that
her late husband's funeral expenses and other fees equal a total sum of $297.50.
Barney hands it over with no questions asked and donates the remaining $2.50 of his
savings towards Mrs. Lesh's favorite charity.

Barney invites the Taylors, Gomer, and Thelma Lou to join him in his first
maiden voyage with his new car. Not far into the journey however, the car breaks
down much to Barney's dismay. When Gomer reports Wally's findings it seems the
list of problems with the car is enough to fill the pages of a book. One problem in
particular sets off Andy and Barney's radar. Wally found sawdust in the differential
and transmission, which is a trick that helps to make worn-out gears run for a
temporary period of time
As Andy and Barney try to drive the car back to Mrs. Myrt
"Hubcaps" Lesh's place in Mount Pilot, the car breaks down for the final time. As
they wait for Gomer to bring a tow truck the two lawmen fall asleep inside the Ford.
To their luck, one of Mrs. Lesh's own tow trucks picks up the car, thinking it has
been abandoned. Andy and Barney quietly wait as they are towed to Lesh's chop
shop. They make a quick arrest upon their arrival.

After all that, Barney still has his heart set on buying a car. Weary of little old
ladies selling cars, however, Barney passes up the deal of a lifetime when one such
old lady offers him a mint condition '59 Ford.

HIGHLIGHT LISTING
Deputy Barney Fife invests his life's savings in a used car that turns out to be a
lemon.

ADVERTISING HEADLINE
Barney uses his life savings to buy a car

Last edited by TheSunDanceKid; 08-21-2009 at 12:33 AM.
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #130
Blkbamm

My 81 had cardbord paste and shaped good to cover rusted out cross member, when we tried to tow it for the first time we noticed the hook went threw cross member. When I called the guy I got the truck from about it, he said he had never noticed it.

Last edited by Blkbamm; 08-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Blkbamm is offline   Reply With Quote