The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
nlped

TPS adjustment?

I did a search and couldn't find an answer so I thought I would just ask. I have Code 22 which is a TPS low voltage code. I just checked the TPS and sure enough it has 0.35 closed and 3.40 at WOT. I know this is low, but can the TPS be adjusted or do I have to replace it? I know on my mustang and on some Honda's the tps can be adjust some. Could I be lucky enough to have this benefit?

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: TPS adjustment?

no adjustment or not much heres a chart. the wot voltage is way low should be about 4.50vdc
Attached Images

clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
clinebarger

heres some more i found

Notes Voltage
Note: The Throttle Position is not adjustable on this engine.
At Idle Or Closed Throttle Normal 0.45 to 0.95 V
Maximum 1.25 V
Wide Open Throttle 4.0 to 4.5 V

Last edited by clinebarger; 08-20-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
clinebarger

I was thinking about your readings maybe somone adjusted the throttle blades to make up for a vacuum leak so it whould idle down?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
83burban

The TPS can be adjusted.

First - Locate the adjusting screw...look at the carb from the drivers side just behind the plunger pivot (there is a little D shaped screw there - might be covered by a plug.

If it is covered drill a tiny hole into tho cover (go slow so you don't drill into the adjusting screw) and then screw a sheet-metal screw in there. Pull the plug out.

To adjust...locate the electrical connector (the 3 wire one) and splice a line into the bottom 2 wires. I used 2 of those blue connectors with some wire extensions and 2 butt plugs on the end. I didn't have time to look for the correct tool to adjust so I took a roll pin the was just slightly smaller than the screw and pinched the end into a D shape. I then tapped it onto the adjusting screw lightly and adjusted mine that way.

Leave the TPS connector in and turn the ignition to the on position, but don't turn the car on. Insert your ground wire from the voltmeter into the middle wire and the postive into the bottom wire. Turn the adjusting screw until you get .49 volts at idle. Then advance the throttle slowly checking for even movement of the voltmeter uo to WOT which should be above 4.0 volts.

If the voltage suddenly changes at drops and any point while advancing the throttle its time for a new TPS sensor.

I hope that I described everything well, but it always plays better in your head than when your trying to explain it.

Last edited by 83burban; 08-20-2009 at 09:05 PM.
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83burban View Post
The TPS can be adjusted.

First - Locate the adjusting screw...look at the carb from the drivers side just behind the plunger pivot (there is a little D shaped screw there - might be covered by a plug.

If it is covered drill a tiny hole into tho cover (go slow so you don't drill into the adjusting screw) and then screw a sheet-metal screw in there. Pull the plug out.

To adjust...locate the electrical connector (the 3 wire one) and splice a line into the bottom 2 wires. I used 2 of those blue connectors with some wire extensions and 2 butt plugs on the end. I didn't have time to look for the correct tool to adjust so I took a roll pin the was just slightly smaller than the screw and pinched the end into a D shape. I then tapped it onto the adjusting screw lightly and adjusted mine that way.

Leave the TPS connector in and turn the ignition to the on position, but don't turn the car on. Insert your ground wire from the voltmeter into the middle wire and the postive into the bottom wire. Turn the adjusting screw until you get .49 volts at idle. Then advance the throttle slowly checking for even movement of the voltmeter uo to WOT which should be above 4.0 volts.

If the voltage suddenly changes at drops and any point while advancing the throttle its time for a new TPS sensor.

I hope that I described everything well, but it always plays better in your head than when your trying to explain it.
i dont think its a carb. TBI tps can only be adjusted so much. i didnt know anybody ran feedback quadrajets anymore
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
83burban

Haha...not running it by choice that's for-sure.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
clinebarger

I was just ribbing you. change it with a older carb and distributor. and cut the check engine light wire at the ECM. what tranny do you have? if its a
700R4 you will need to lock up the converter by other means besides the ecm
Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #9
83burban

I've got it running good with the electronic stuff in there now. I can;t swap any parts due to California emissions but I wish I had a 79 or older suburban so that I could (like that body style a little better too).
Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Tater
Cradle Robber

Quote:
I've got it running good with the electronic stuff in there now. I can;t swap any parts due to California emissions but I wish I had a 79 or older suburban so that I could (like that body style a little better too).
Move to Illinois.Our emission laws are pretty much non existent.Pre 91 doesn't need any testing/inspections.Anything newer and it veries from town to town.They don't even smog test here.They plug into your computer and check for obd codes.

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #11
nlped

Thanks guys! I will be purchasing a new TPS this afternoon and installing it.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
clinebarger

Quote:
I thought la meant louisiana we have emissions nazis too just not near as bad
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
nlped

Well after $36.41 and about 20 minutes, ole Bob is free of that check engine light.

Before the TPS @ idle was .38V. After it is .59V

Before the TPS @ WOT was 3.4V. After it is 4.27!!!

Thanks Clinebarger & others who offered their assistance!

E