The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

simple cab corner 6x9 housings

After fitting the CD player to the stock dash and not being happy with only the door speakers I decided to tackle building a set of cab corner 6x9 housings.

I used the cardboard box the speakers were shipped in that had the 6x9 cutout all ready cut into it as a sacrificial mock up piece. After a couple cuts it fit close enough to try it out in wood.

I made the first piece and put a 45 degree cut on each end to let it sit flat against the cab then fit it in place & traced the door jamb contour onto it. After cutting the cab contour into it and re-chamfering the edge it fit like a glove.

I secured the top to the flange of the cab sheet metal with a pair of screws and the bottom with a small piece of 1x1 angle.

After seeing how much depth I had were I cut the 6x9 opening into the panel and installed the speaker.

I ran out of time and couldn't make the curved top piece to seal the enclosure but that will be pretty easy. Pull the panel and lay a piece of cardboard under the cab flange & trace the contour. transfer to MDF and install.

After I get the top filler piece installed I will countersink the fasteners and paint the whole thing with undercoating inside & out to protect it from any possible moisture then use silicone to seal all the edges to the cab. It shouldn't have to ever come out.
Attached Images

Last edited by 68 TT; 08-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: simple cab corner 6x9 housings

will there be enough air volume if you seal the top? maybe raise the mount 1\2 an inch and leave the bottom open...ala back deck of a car. most 6x9's do not require or act correctly in a sealed box?
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

My Infinity 6x9's wanted 1/2 cubic foot in a sealed enclosure and lost bass in a ported enclosure (like a car deck lid).

The amount of air in the cab corners looks like more than enough.

I have them up & running right now but will test them out with the filler in place to see how they respond. Every speaker is different so we will see what works best for these.

I really want to cover up the top so nothing I toss back there accidentally ends up behind the speaker. If I need to I can add a small bass port into the lower section of the panel.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

If they work better open, couldn't you use a strong screen to close it off but still let the air move?
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
cochino12
It followed me home?

Looks like you got a good start. To get them to stay in place I've actually just carpeted them and then used some velcro on the curve and along the bottom and never had any issues with them moving. Actually the set I have in my work truck are just press fit and have never moved either.

You want to make sure the air from the front is sealed off the the air behind the speaker, I wouldnt worry much about the airspace. Dont forget to put some polyfil in the cab corner and you should get some decent bass response too Get some power to them and you'll be suprised at how good they can sound.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 08-24-2009 at 05:52 PM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Thanks.

They are very well secured with the screws into the cab structure and the angle bracket at the base.

I will definitely seal the space behind the speaker so it is not working free air.

I have never used polyfil for the enclosed area void space before. What exactly does it do for the speaker?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

The next step is to build in an enclosure for the Infinity perfect-10 sub I have sitting around and mount a couple amps back there to run the sub and the 6x9's.

This is the same setup I ran in my 66 El Camino for years and it sounded great.

The remainder of the space will be a separate storage box for tools & fluids.