The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
bianchini

'59 apache gurus...

hey guys/ gals,

My buddy just got his '58 (put 59 in the thread title) apache restored and there are a few minor things he would like to fix.

1) on the door latches on the inside of the cab, there is a 1/2" gap between the latch and the door panel. does a grommet or something go there? i saw on his 67 work truck there was a donut looking thing. is that what is missing?

2) on the passenger side, you can move the window crank, but the window doesnt slide down. is it not grabbing the window/ window mechanism? ideas?

3) the fuel gauge doesnt work. on the '58s, is there a fuel sender that measures how much gas you have left? is it electrical? ideas?

4) what is the bolt configuration on the wheels? i see its a 6 lug...

My buddy is not the most computer savvy so I'm writing this for him. thanks for all the help and ill post up some pics tomorrow!

Last edited by bianchini; 08-22-2009 at 07:15 PM.
bianchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: '59 apache gurus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchini View Post
2) on the passenger side, you can move the window crank, but the window doesnt slide down. is it not grabbing the window/ window mechanism? ideas?
2) You need a new regulator.

Someone else will be able to help on the other q's. Welcome to the board from down here in the south!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 08-22-2009 at 11:59 AM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
bianchini

thanks leddzepp.

also, where does everyone source parts at decent prices? members? websites? salvage yards?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
leddzepp

Here on the message board you can find a lot of parts for sale from other members. Salvage yards are hit and miss most of the time. Board vendors here have lots of good stuff. I have had good luck with the Truck Shop here in Orange, Ca.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

yes there should ge a thin felt or sponge rubber donut to keep water out. You could make them from any foam rubber that is thin enough. I don't think you can buy them,

The window is attached to a sashe by a sticky rubber strip. That can be purchased and as said above it may be the regulator. You'll need to pull the door apart to see.

The fuel gauge is electric and does have a sender in the tank. It could be anything from a rotted float to the sender , wires, or the gauge itself.

wheels are 6 lug 5.5 inch pattern most GM 6 lug will fit. The only issue is that the old wheels are lug centric and the new are hub centric so the center hole may be to small on some wheels.

There are many good vendors here you can purchase from. Look in the vendor section. I would advise that you ask someone here about a particular parts supplier prior to purchasing.

Last edited by dwcsr; 08-22-2009 at 02:39 PM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
bianchini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
yes there should ge a thin felt or sponge rubber donut to keep water out. You could make them from any foam rubber that is thin enough. I don't think you can buy them,

The window is attached to a sashe by a sticky rubber strip. That can be purchased and as said above it may be the regulator. You'll need to pull the door apart to see.

The fuel gauge is electric and does have a sender in the tank. It could be anything from a rotted float to the sender , wires, or the gauge itself.

wheels are 6 lug 5.5 inch pattern most GM 6 lug will fit. The only issue is that the old wheels are lug centric and the new are hub centric so the center hole may be to small on some wheels.

There are many good vendors here you can purchase from. Look in the vendor section. I would advise that you ask someone here about a particular parts supplier prior to purchasing.
thanks for all the help. I screwed up the post and it is actually a '58. not a 59.

helping my dumb friends build sweet rides.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
leddzepp

Quote:
thanks for all the help. I screwed up the post and it is actually a '58. not a 59.
Even better! My dad has a 58 Apache, 2nd owner, did a one-off custom restoration on it way back when. He got dogged all thru the 70's, 80's, and 90's about it.....Tri-5's were all the rage. He knew a day would come when the 58-59's would be the ticket. That day has come; I see a LOT of guys doing up 58 and 59's now.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
bianchini

yeh zepp. i took a some pics today so ill post em up in a few. he also has a 67 c10 longbed.

the hubs on the '58 are pretty big... does anyone have any rim recommendations?

Last edited by bianchini; 08-22-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
OrrieG

Nice truck. On the door handles, I think there is a thin plastic "washer" between the handle and the door panel so the inside of the handle does not scratch the paint. On the tank sending unit there is a flat metal piece that breaks so the guage quits working. I bridged mine with soldered wire a couple of times. If you turn the handle and the regulator does not move the inside is shot, usually wears a hole in the metal housing. They are reproduced now so its not a big deal. I assume the window track was bolted back to the regulator. Patrick
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
bianchini

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Nice truck. On the door handles, I think there is a thin plastic "washer" between the handle and the door panel so the inside of the handle does not scratch the paint. On the tank sending unit there is a flat metal piece that breaks so the guage quits working. I bridged mine with soldered wire a couple of times. If you turn the handle and the regulator does not move the inside is shot, usually wears a hole in the metal housing. They are reproduced now so its not a big deal. I assume the window track was bolted back to the regulator. Patrick
hey Patrick,
thanks for all the help. ill try to tackle some of these issues tomorrow.
-Pete

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #11
OrrieG

I checked the factory assy manual and the door and window handles have a plastic "washer" between the door and metal. My memory was right the inside diameter is the same as the splined shafts, the outside matches the handles. The door opener handle has a felt pad shaped like a donut between the door panel and operator bolted to the inner door panel. The window regulator only has the plastic washer. They were all missing when I took my door apart so I now have to find some too.

Last edited by OrrieG; 08-25-2009 at 11:33 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
Number 9

Quote:
thanks leddzepp.

also, where does everyone source parts at decent prices? members? websites? salvage yards?
Try craigslist sfo parts for sale type in 1958 and you will see an ad for 1947
and up chevy parts for cars and trucks. He is in Santa Clara and has or can get
any thing you may need. That is a nice looking truck. I have a 59 big window
which is the same as your 58.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote