The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #1
stevenk20

Larger gas tank for LWB pickup

hello everyone i did a lot of searching and didn't really find what i needed. i am doing an EFI swap and i wanted to get rid of my two side tanks in favor of a single large tank i will mount behind the rear axle. i'm looking for around 35+ gallons as this truck will be used for towing in the future. can i see your gas tank swaps in all you first gens?? also it would have to have a 0-90 ohm sending unit.

i really don't mind relocating crossmembers or anything like that so anything is fair game. this truck will not be wheeling so ground clearance is not a huge issue either, i dont want it to look stupid low though :-) thanks everyone
stevenk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Larger gas tank for LWB pickup

Our 99 suburban had a 42 gallon tank. That was a fun to pay for when filling it with almost $4 gas. I'm not sure the width will fit between the rails cause I never measured it.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
WyoGMC

Have you thought about adding an additional fuel tank in the bed? They are shaped like toolboxes and work very well. I used to have a 90 gallon tank that sat under the bed rails on one truck I had. I could drive over 2000 miles without filling up. It really and I mean really sucked when I topped it off. Almost had to call the bank for a small loan!

Didn't find the 90 gallon one I had. The one in the link is a 60 gallon and is the same style that I had. Granted the toolbox portion was pretty worthless with such a shallow depth. But it worked very well for me.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...ategory%20Page
WyoGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
purewhitemp5

http://raybuck.com/i-66697-1974-81-s...ank-40gal.html

They give the measurements so you can check the space you have. $99 + $11 shipping.

Last edited by purewhitemp5; 09-03-2009 at 07:11 PM.
purewhitemp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
capev86

it doesn't matter what size tank you have......the gas costs the same amount. it just seems like more because you have a few large fill ups instead of a many smaller ones. if you are driving the rig daily, a big tank is handy because it saves you time stopping at the pump. you can fill up when the price is cheaper or when wait until you are in the neighborhood of the bargain gas station. also nice if you do long hauls with a trailer. i'd rather spend some of my road trip stops taking a break....not pumping gas. if you need to save gas....get an econo box to drive and leave the truck home until you need it. i had a class 3 hitch on my 89 buick lesabre (and numerous other custom mods) and could pull stuff with it and get in the high 20's when driving solo. good general purpose vehicle. my 72 burb will pull 3 times as much but it doesn't make a good daily driver when you get 10-11mpg at best......and worse when you only have a 20 gallon tank. i use it sparingly and still have to get gas every other week.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
mr48chev

The problem that we often have out here in the West is that if we travel we get in the land of no gas stations. It's 48 miles to the next station if I turn right when I go out the driveway. You get in SE Oregon, Nevada or some parts of Wyoming and it can be over 100 miles between any kind of stations. On the mountain passes gas is sometimes 30% higher than it is locally. Three weeks ago I was in downtown Seattle and it isn't easy to find a station there in some areas. That is why we want big tanks.
I have a custom 35 gal ss tank at the front of the bed in my truck and that lets me run over 300 miles on a fill up if I want to. It also allows me to not have to hunt for stations when I go to areas that don't have them near to each other. I have a 79 Blazer tank that I was going to stick under the bed but I would rather have one of the big Suburban tanks.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
extd56

I used a Blazer tank in my Crew cab truck and my extended cab truck. The 42 gallon tank was a little bit too big so I used what I believe is the 31 gallon Blazer tank or the smaller Suburban tank.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote