The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
jbemt31

Need lots of help!!!

I have a 1968 chevy C-30 project. I am new to all of this, but able and willing to learn. Here is my problem. I am not a gear head and I am unsure of what engine is in the truck, but I believe from asking around it is a 307?. I do know that it has a 2-barrel rochester carb on it that has just been rebuilt. The truck will start and idle fine, but everytime you give it gas it wants to die as if it is getting to much or to little gas. The fuel pump has been tested and is fine, but that is all I know for sure. I know it could be a variety of issues, but where do I start. Frustrating
jbemt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: Need lots of help!!!

Lets start off with getting the casting numbers off the back of the block on the drivers side and determine what motor it is.

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

jbemt31,welcome to the forum.I agree with Frenchy,we need more info.I would suggest you fill in a Signature and list what info you do have on the truck.then members will have something to work with when trying to answer your questions.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
WorkinLonghorn

Doesn't matter to me what engine it is,first I would check the accelerator pump on the carb (the thing that shoots a little extra gas down the carb when you quickly open the throttle). You can do this by opening the throttle by hand while looking,and listening down the carb (engine OFF). You should hear,and maybe see a little squirt. If not then that would explain the stumble.If the carb was just re-done it should be working fine though.
Then I would listen for any hissing at idle which would suggest a vacuum leak somewhere,either one of the little rubber hoses or connections,or somewhere else.
Then I would check to see if there is a real good spark at the plugs by removing a plug and carefully holding the base against a ground (engine block etc) and cranking engine over. Spark should be crisp + blue. If not then start looking at your points,condeser,coil,cap rotor etc.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 09-04-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spellig
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Rack Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Doesn't matter to me what engine it is,first I would check the accelerator pump on the carb (the thing that shoots a little extra gas down the carb when you quickly open the throttle). You can do this by opening the throttle by hand while looking,and listening down the carb (engine OFF). You should hear,and maybe see a little squirt. If not then that would explain the stumble.If the carb was just re-done it should be working fine though.
Then I would listen for any hissing at idle which would suggest a vacuum leak somewhere,either one of the little rubber hoses or connections,or somewhere else.
Then I would check to see if there is a real good spark at the plugs by removing a plug and carefully holding the base against a ground (engine block etc) and cranking engine over. Spark should be crisp + blue. If not then start looking at your points,condeser,coil,cap rotor etc.
X2 on the accelerator pump...this is culprit for that problem most of the time!