The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
SERKETSICCS1NINE

61 apache frame question???

I'm not 100% sure, but the c10 and the suburban share the same frame right. The reason I'm asking is because I've been looking for a crossmember so I can convert over to a 700r4. After days of looking I found one for 60-63 suburban, but its for a f frame so I dont think it'll work anyways.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: 61 apache frame question???

It may work with modification. When I was building my truck, I discovered that 60-63 trucks with an automatic transmissions (very rare) came with a conventional crossmember that mounts under the transmission tailhousing. At the time there were a lot of these trucks in wrecking yards, and after looking through over 150 of them, I found 2 of the xmembers. One was badly damaged, and the other I brought home, and is now in my truck.

Every 60-62 frame I've seen, regardless of original transmission, has 3 holes in a crescent pattern on each side of the frame forward of the X tunnel. I was very excited to have found a crossmember I could simply bolt in. Unfortunately, I didn't bother looking at the model of truck I got the xmbr out of, and when I got it home I discovered it was about 4 inches too wide. It may have been out of a suburban or longbed, but it didn't fit. So - I sectioned it in the middle and had a friend weld it back together with steel angle reinforcements underneath. The following pics show where it fits and where it was cut. Perhaps this would work in your situation.

The other link that was provided showed a homemade version of the same thing. With the 700R4, it's either going to need to be mounted further back, or the engine may need to be moved forward. If you move the engine forward, this style stock xmbr should work. If the engine stays in the same place, you'd probably be better off making a shorter custom crossmember to bolt on behind the factory mounting holes since it is going to need to be closer to the tunnel to make up for the added length of the transmission.

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote