The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Rhoff2009

1966 Clutch question

What clutch setup are you guys running. I have a saginaw 4 speed and I have to change out the clutch linkage.. Look at the pics and you will see why.

Here's the setup...

Here you can see that the pivot is bent to hell and back.. I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be like that.
I think the PO had to bend it to match up to his homemade bracket. It needs to be replaced but I don't know where to find this part, or any aftermarket setups. Any suggestions?
Rhoff2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
jgarverick

Re: 1966 Clutch question

actually i think it is pretty funny shaped from the factory, yours looks almost exactly like my old one.

64 C10 SWB Stepside 350/muncie - 5.3 vortec (soon)Thread
69 AMC Javelin 360/auto - 417 stroker (soon)
68 Scout (Basketcase)
06 Ram HEMI SWB Reg Cab Daily Driver

US Army Vet
jgarverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Rhoff2009

Really???

I would think it would be straight. It works, I was just afraid I would be driving and it would fall apart.. Now that you mention it, I doesn't look like he heated it up and beat out of shape.

Oh well.. I'll just replace the stripped out allthread piece

Thanks for the reply.. One less thing to worry about..
Old 09-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
Eagar1

My clutch has a bracket that bolts to the top of the frame and the other end goes into the bellhousing, I think it is the same for I6 or V8 engines. If your bellhousing is different, like not for a truck SM465 then you may have to fab one up that bolts to the bellhousing somewhere. Or you could go to a hydraulic set up but thats alot of work.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
TR65

Rhoff,

The clutch pivot arm is definitely supposed to be that shape. I just took the one off my 65 and since my dad or I have had the truck since it was new, I know it was not modified.

The frame side bracket is rivitted to the frame rail and has a slot to accept the ball on that end.

I suppose your truck was converted from an auto?

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes that bellcrank is just as GM made it. Where was that other bracket located? It is not a factory piece that I can tell. You will definitely need a new swivel on the rod. It is almost worn thru. What engine is in your truck?
You can use all the factory clutch linkage whether you have the SM420 or the saginaw 4 speed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 AM   #7
Eagar1

Here is a pic of the same arm, just for reinforcement that yours is ok, and I did mean SM420, got mixed up with the saginaw 465TT I was selling.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagar1 View Post
My clutch has a bracket that bolts to the top of the frame and the other end goes into the bellhousing, I think it is the same for I6 or V8 engines. If your bellhousing is different, like not for a truck SM465 then you may have to fab one up that bolts to the bellhousing somewhere. Or you could go to a hydraulic set up but thats alot of work.
It doesn't go to the bellhousing. It pivots off of the side of the engine.

I ordered everything I needed to restore my clutch linkage from Classic Parts. Most all of it was genuine GM stuff when it arrived. Not much money at all.

You need one of these because yours is very worn:

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-72-...ctinfo/90-827/

One of these to screw into the engine block:

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-84-...ctinfo/90-844/

One of these springs:

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-72-...ctinfo/90-791/

One of these for the end of the rod where it fits into the clutch fork:

http://www.classicparts.com/60-72Low...ctinfo/90-829/

Since your little pivot block on the pushrod is so worn, your holes in the Z bar are likely worn too. Either weld them shut and redrill new holes or fess up the 40 bucks for a new Z bar:

http://www.classicparts.com/63-66-Cl...ctinfo/90-805/

Done deal !

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 09-05-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Rhoff2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yes that bellcrank is just as GM made it. Where was that other bracket located? It is not a factory piece that I can tell. You will definitely need a new swivel on the rod. It is almost worn thru. What engine is in your truck?
You can use all the factory clutch linkage whether you have the SM420 or the saginaw 4 speed.
It has a 305 in it.. I didn't even notice the swivel on the rod was worn badly. I did notice the stripped threads on the end of the rod.. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Here's a pic of how it sits in the truck.. If you can see it in my earlier post the PO made a bracket and welded the pivot ball to it, relocating it about an inch foward. I guess it was because it broke or got stripped out or something. Thanks tx firefighter for the links. I'm guessing the threaded hole by the dipstick is where the pivot ball actually goes.

That was the reason I was worried about it, since he made that bracket I figured he bent the linkage to make it fit. But now I know.

Thanks alot guys..
Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Eagar1

Wow I have the bellhousing off of the 81 c10, and it has the ballstud in it, and I just looked at the bellhousing for the 72 I am going to use and it is different, I am not sure my later model engine has the threaded hole for the ballstud, I will have to check it out. I hope my later model top load 4 speed will bolt to the old housing.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter

Eagar1,

Here is a normal bellhousing. There isn't even a place to screw a stud in to. Plus, if you did, the z bar would be way up under the cab with no way of working from the pedal. I can't remember too many details about the later model bellhousings like you have though. I have an 80 model bellhousing hanging on the wall in my shop. It's aluminum. I will look at it next time I go out there.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 09-05-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Eagar1

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but yes the 81 housing is aluminum, but I do have the 72 bellhousing also that the 72 tranny is still attached to, they look the same, as they are toploaders, so I assume I can bolt that 72bellhousing to the 81 engine, and my 81 4-speed to that. The 81 bellhousing doesn't have the lower mount pads like the 72 one does.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Tx Firefighter

You should be able to use whichever bellhousing you choose. The center bores of the two should be the same.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Rhoff2009

Hey tx.. I checked out your blog, very nice looking engine.

Off topic, but do you know which power steering pump brackets are used for that pump, I have the same one but I don't have the short water pump like you have. It seems that everywhere I look they only have the brackets for the later model pump.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes right there by the dipstick is where the ballstud goes for the bellcrank to pivot on. Get the parts you need from the links TxFirefighter provided and you'll be in business. Also, the arms on the bellcrank are hardened and don't typically wear, but I have seen some slightly worn. It is usually the other parts that wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoff2009 View Post
It has a 305 in it.. I didn't even notice the swivel on the rod was worn badly. I did notice the stripped threads on the end of the rod.. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Here's a pic of how it sits in the truck.. If you can see it in my earlier post the PO made a bracket and welded the pivot ball to it, relocating it about an inch foward. I guess it was because it broke or got stripped out or something. Thanks tx firefighter for the links. I'm guessing the threaded hole by the dipstick is where the pivot ball actually goes.

That was the reason I was worried about it, since he made that bracket I figured he bent the linkage to make it fit. But now I know.

Thanks alot guys..

I believe that the '81 4 speed you have would be the SM465 which should have a 5 1/8" dia front bearing retainer where it fits into the bellhousing. You might want to check your '72 bellhousing to be sure that the bore of it is the correct size. The older bellhousings which were for the SM420's had a smaller bore to fit the front bearing retainer on them. I don't remember the size for sure, but I think it was about 4 3/4". Yes you can bolt any small or big block bellhousing to your '81 305.

Quote:
Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but yes the 81 housing is aluminum, but I do have the 72 bellhousing also that the 72 tranny is still attached to, they look the same, as they are toploaders, so I assume I can bolt that 72bellhousing to the 81 engine, and my 81 4-speed to that. The 81 bellhousing doesn't have the lower mount pads like the 72 one does.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-06-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 AM   #16
Eagar1

Thanks Captainfab,
I still have the old v8, bellhousing and trans all bolted together, but it has been out in the weather for a while, and I am not sure the trans isnt full of water. thats why I wanted to use the newer trans, it was taken from a working vehicle and kept inside, but if the SM420 is better than the SM465,
I wouldn't be opposed to going through it and making that work instead.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoff2009 View Post
Hey tx.. I checked out your blog, very nice looking engine.

Off topic, but do you know which power steering pump brackets are used for that pump, I have the same one but I don't have the short water pump like you have. It seems that everywhere I look they only have the brackets for the later model pump.
My p/s brackets are 69-72 truck brackets. Actually, all of my pulleys and brackets are 69-72 stuff.

Quote:
Thanks Captainfab,
I still have the old v8, bellhousing and trans all bolted together, but it has been out in the weather for a while, and I am not sure the trans isnt full of water. thats why I wanted to use the newer trans, it was taken from a working vehicle and kept inside, but if the SM420 is better than the SM465,
I wouldn't be opposed to going through it and making that work instead.
You're going to be fine with using either bellhousing. Simply choose the one that you desire, keeping in mind that only the early one offers mounting provisions. You will have to decide what kind of trans mount and crossmember you are going to run. The 72 bellhousing and trans are going to be either SM465 (cast iron trans top cover) or NP435 (aluminum top cover). The bellhousing will work fine with your later trans. The only time you have to worry about not working is when you have an earlier housing like the SM420 used. The SM420 was phased out well before your 72 housing was made.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 09-06-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #18
Eagar1

Awesome info TX Firefighter.
That helps alot, I will go with the 72 housing cause it will mount straight to the crossmember I already have as well as the starter/flywheel combo. I have to swap off the auto flex plate and starter off the newer engine anyway.