The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Damien

Demo truck Ideas?

I've got a '79 half ton lwb 2x4 that I'm using as a parts truck and was planning on scrapping the frame and box as well as a junk cab. Well, I got an info sheet in the mail for an area demo and now I think I might do that, and then scrap it. They allow half and three quarter ton, 2x4 and 4x4 (w/ front driveshaft removed). I think I need 3/4 or 1 ton front springs to raise the front bumper height. I am thinking 4x4 rear hangers to raise the rear. I have a 350 and th400 I could put in it for the demo. It must have the stock cooling system. I don’t know it this includes the fan or not. I also have a 4.3 V6 and a Qjet intake for it. This would move my fan back too. I'm not sure if the engine has provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, which is required. I am going to make a collapsible driveshaft from square tubing and a lot of grease. I think I might leave the heater core in with the fan to help in cooling. I will also make sure I have an A/C condenser in front of the radiator. The rear will be welded. Tires are unrestricted. I probably won't be able to get skid steer tires because of cost. I'm thinking low profile tires to avoid cuts and braking the bead. Also doubling up the tires so they keep their shape with no air in them. Cutting of fenders is prohibited, but the metal can be "pre-bent". I want to find some extremely rusted fenders and bend them for tire clearance. I wouldn't bother with the fenders, but all the ones I have saved are too nice to demo.
If anyone has any ideas please post them. I have done enduro races, but never a demo.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Demo truck Ideas?

Damien, Trucks! just did a demo 73-87 on their show. See if you can find the episodes online. They did lots of real good tricks to it.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

here is what I have found so far.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in...17&ep_sea=0802

still trying to find more. lol

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Wrap your U-joints in duck tape

Use a PTO drive shaft

Use WATER only in your coolant

Use 20-50 oil

If not required, move your fuel cell and battery to the bed.

Don't be afraid to replace rusted parts with metal parts that are just an 8th of an inch bigger

Bring lots of tires.
If it's an 8-lug you should attempt to find some tires off a center-pivot, they'll help you get around in the mud and they're made to not be punctured

To protect your valvestems, you can weld rocker arms over them to the rim.

I, for saftety, would weld half inch thick steel bars to protect you over the driver's side door.

Make a connection to the transmisson by cutting through the floorboard and hooking directly to it, if its an automatic.

Figure out a plate to cover up your oil filter.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)
1987 Toyota 4wd Pick-up - work in progress, future DD SOLD ($1,850)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad cab - old 12 valve with some work done
2004 Chevy Silverado - Black, 4x4, 5.3L, stock for now

Underneath that rust is a heart of gold
Benelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Benelli: I am gonna guess you have done a demo or two before. Wow, what good info!
Damien: Make sure you keep us posted on how it turns out. Sounds like a blast.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
rod86
great southern land

sounds like it would be great fun....

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

If you have any other questions don't be afraid to PM me. I'll be watching this thread as well.
1979 Chevy K10 (H/D Front end) - 350 w/ Holley Truck Avenger, Weinald Intake manifold, headers, bored .060 over, mild cam, Built up TH350 (TranStar Shift kit) with a part-timed NP203 t-case SOLD ($3,000)
1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 - 4.3 vortec, extended cab, 21 highway MPG, stock. "Red" SOLD ($3,000)

Old 04-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
lester622

never did a truck demo, but do the car demos and a thing called demo cross where you run in circles like a dirt track but can run into one another. It is a BLAST especially with a group of friends.

On the door idk how the rules are but we usually skin the door weld in some heavy square tubing or I beam and the tack the door skin back on. your not suppose to get hit in the drivers door but sometimes you do.

Thats the only advice i can really give as cars are different then trucks really.
lester622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
grinch4om
dang its hot

demo's....that's why there are not enough 40 Fords and 55 Chevys in the world....
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch4om View Post
demo's....that's why there are not enough 40 Fords and 55 Chevys in the world....
The truck was going to be scrapped after I took all the usable parts off anyway. The box is shot(floor is gone) The cab I'm using belonged to a moron that cut the dash out before he decided he didn't want the truck anymore and cut the frame into 3ft. sections. I saved a lot of the good parts. The doors are junk. I only have them for the power windows. I completely understand what you are saying though. I know there are a lot of vehicles that could be restored that are used. I feel the same way you do about the '70-'77 Monte Carlos.

The rules state that a max 24" x 1" steel plate can be added to the drivers door and extend 3" past the door seems. The doors should also be welded shut. I was planning to use a grater blade on the door. The battery must be mounted in the cab on the passenger side. The fuel tank cannot be more then 5 gal. and mounted 24" behind the cab in the bed.

This project is going to be an "educational" project. I have a team of Automotive Engineering Technologists from school that will be helping build this truck.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #11
grinch4om
dang its hot

I understand...that was a standard retort over the years...I meant no harm, just being a smart a$$
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
Benelli
Watchin the rust grow

Weld the rear-end

I might have a few more that are a little helpfull.

Run the stacks through the hood, its not just for sound and looks it helps cool the engine a little better.

Take out the grill, less **** to crush the radiator.

If you can, find tires that have good sidewalls but no tread, cut off the sidewall and nail staple glue double sided tape, what ever, to the sidewall of you other tires. Makes it twice as hard to get through

I HIGHLY suggest putting the steel infront of your door. Sometimes, accidents do happen and you'll be glad that steel is there. You'll get loved tapped on your door on accident for sure, but you never know when one guy will lose his steering and you two connect.

Get rid of power steering

Don't run a belt to the AC compressor if applicable

replace KEY bolts with new ones.

DO NOT put "Radiator Stop Leak" into your radiator.

Last of all, don't be afraid to go balls out. Have a good time

Once again, any questions, PM Me or post here.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Damien

Why get rid of the power steering? Less drag on the engine? Wouldn't be better to keep it so I could steer the truck or is that something I won't need to worry about?
I found a Dana 70 rear from a motor home. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade? Then I could also run 16.5 skid steer tires.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
lester622

keep the powr steering when stuff gets bent in the front u will be wishing u had it.

Trick for tires is liqiud nail around the bead before u air them up itll make them harder to break the bead or spin on the rim if they go low.

U can run forklift tires, i forget what ply they are but there almost impossible to puncture and most are for a 15" rim. Another option is look around and find some old military jeep tires there 14ply and they dig in the mud, i run them and have had the same set going on 2 yrs now.

Also take 3/4" - 1" all thread take out the core support bolt and go though the hood all the way down to under the frame put a big nut and washer on top and bottom. it will make the front end more solid and be able to take harder hits.

Last edited by lester622; 05-01-2009 at 01:15 AM.
lester622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Damien

Its been a while. The demo was about six weeks ago. I placed 7 out of 10. I think I had the only half ton 2 wheel drive. Most of the other trucks were 3/4 ton 4x4s. I did manage to put a ford on its side before I went out due to the cab being shifted over about 12 in. and the pos. batt cable pulled out of the lug on the starter and started arcing on everything. I also lost steering before I hit the ford.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

SWEET! So, the million dollar question.....Would you do it again?
The 86 build thread SOLD

Old 09-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Damien

Hell No! This truck took way too much time to build and only about 10 min. to distroy. The frame is too bent to even use the truck again. The rear tracks at least a foot off from the front. The bend starts right after the engine mts.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #18
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Now that is funny! Destroyed it huh? Good for you. Sounds like it was fun at least.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 09-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.