The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
jetdrive4u

Front Brake Swap Question......Another One

Just to make sure I understand.......

I have a '68 w/P/S, and drum brakes, 6 lug. It already has dropped spings.

I have a '79 Sub w/ front discs. Stock springs and spindles.

Can I direct swap the Sub front brake assembly, booster & master cylinder, spindles, and center link over to the '68?

Do I have to swap the arms w/ it?

Or can I just change out the entire sub frame assy w/ all attached?

Will the '68 springs work on the '79 froint if change the sub member out complete?

I want to add dropped spindles when done.

Both are 1/2 ton - 2 wheel drive.

I have tried to reseach, but there are so many posts, and I think I have read too many and too confused at the moment.

Thanks in Advance !!!

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by jetdrive4u; 09-11-2009 at 01:02 AM.
jetdrive4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Front Brake Swap Question......Another One

You can swap the spindles and brakes three ways.

1) Change the upper and lower ball joints in your present arms to 73-87 units. They will fit right in.

2) Change the upper and lower arms from the Suburban to your truck along with the spindles. This will obviously get you the proper ball joints to match the spindles.

3) Most difficult of the options, swap the entire front suspension. It's held on by 14 bolts to the frame. You can bolt it to the earlier truck but either 2 or 4 of the current holes won't line up with the later crossmember. You will need to use a drill and make them line up. Since a majority of the holes will line staight up, you can get the thing in and located and bolted securely, then fuss with the last few holes as needed.

The later arms bolt straight in place without mods to your current early crossmember if you choose route 2.

Your current springs will still work with either scenario.

You will need to change the entire steering linkage from the Suburban to your truck. It's a straight swap without mods.

You will need different brake lines. You can use the Suburban ones on your truck. The holes are there already. Just take all of the lines and prop valve, hoses and everything. The newer prop valve will be mounted down under the radiator on your truck just like it currently is on the Suburban.

You can use the master cylinder off the later Suburban too, straight bolt on to the firewall. That would get you disc brakes without power boost. If you want to use the power booster, it does not work without mods. You will need to adapt the booster pushrod to your current brake pedal pushrod via welding or threading them both and using a screw coupler to join them.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 09-11-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
jetdrive4u

Re: Front Brake Swap Question......Another One

Those were the direct answers I was looking for !!!

Thank you for the excellant breakdown TX.

I will be changing out the ball joints and moving all other items over as this seems to be the least amount of work, and I want new ball joints anyway, as the sub has been sitting several years, and I dont want to trust any of the wearable items.

Thanks Again !!!

Dave