The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
tfontaine

VIN locations

I recently bought an Army surplus 1985 Blazer at a government auction house(govliquidation). I drove 6 hours to pick it up ,then found out the VIN plate on the dash was missing but still drove it home. The door sticker is missing but there is a VIN on the glove box sticker has the VIN. I don't think the State of Colorado will accept the VIN on the glove box so I'm trying to find another place that has the VIN stamped.

I looked on in some places that others have found the VIN (top of frame in engine bay) but can't seem to find it stamped anywhere on the frame. Does anyone know exactly where it the VIN is located on the frame or other part of the body that's not easily removed?

Thanks in advance.
tfontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: VIN locations

It's also on the frame rail but not in the engine bay.

I don't remember if it's LH side or RH side but it's back either in the straight section of rail under the seat area or the section of frame rail above the rear axle.

Sorry I can't be more specific but my memory is a bit foggy on this one.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 09-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
tfontaine

Thanks Keith. I'll take a look tonight. Do you remember if it's on the top or inside of the frame?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Top (ie, horizontal surface). That I'm sure about.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
dan76

Is this VIN location true of all pickups. I'm looking at a C20, 1986 with a damaged/partially illegible VIN dash tag. I'd rather not purchase it with VIN issues...even though it's a good deal. The state DOT says as long as the alternate VIN matches the title there will be no issues.....but they were either unwilling or unable to tell me where the alternate VIN locations.
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
tfontaine

Woohoo, I found the vin on the frame!!! It was on the passenger side frame rail just below the front seat.

A thousand thanks to Keith!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfontaine View Post
Woohoo, I found the vin on the frame!!! It was on the passenger side frame rail just below the front seat.

A thousand thanks to Keith!

Whew! That was close...

(I was totally "not sure" about that one...)

(LOL)
1986 - 2019
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #8
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76 View Post
Is this VIN location true of all pickups. I'm looking at a C20, 1986 with a damaged/partially illegible VIN dash tag. I'd rather not purchase it with VIN issues...even though it's a good deal. The state DOT says as long as the alternate VIN matches the title there will be no issues.....but they were either unwilling or unable to tell me where the alternate VIN locations.

Yes (Flint built trucks for sure).
1986 - 2019
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I don't understand the worry here, fellas. I've never had anybody look at a VIN tag on any vehicle I've ever owned. Do you live in states that require some sort of visual verification from a government agency? Just curious.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Primer70
Superbad

When I lived in Arizona they looked at my roomates vin nubers on his truck when he bought it. The cab did not match the frame & the state made him jump through some hoops, fill out some paper work. He ended up getting a new vin number & title for the truck.

In California they check the vin numbers on motor cycles on the frame & enegines. When I asked I was told they check to see if the numbers have been ground off either one of them to see if it might be or have parts off a stollen bike.
Primer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
tfontaine

I bought the truck in New Mexico and live in Colorado. The State of Colorado requires a 'VIN Verification' when titling a out of state vehicle. So, I need to have the VIN verified by the local sheriff's office. It's not that big of a deal...just a hoop to jump through.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
I bought the truck in New Mexico and live in Colorado. The State of Colorado requires a 'VIN Verification' when titling a out of state vehicle. So, I need to have the VIN verified by the local sheriff's office. It's not that big of a deal...just a hoop to jump through.
I see. That's kind of a pain. We don't have to do anything like that here unless you are putting together an assembled vehicle, in which case the state actually assigns you a new VIN after they verify the receipts and serial numbers for the parts you use.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Prerunner1982

A good military vehicle website/forum is www.steelsoldiers.com
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Number21

Quote:
Yeah, I had to do the same thing when I bought an Arizona truck in Oregon. (except the DMV does the inspection) I swore I'd never buy an out of state truck again....and then I went and bought one in Washington. I'm just going to drive it with the WA plates until they expire...
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #15
tfontaine

Prerunner 1982:
Yeah, steelsoldiers web site is great and has the same passion for military vehicles that the folks here have for Chevy/GMC trucks. I would not have bought an Army surplus Blazer (CUCV M1009) if it they weren't around. BTW, got a great deal on the vehicle....$420 bucks for a military style 1985 K5... 70K miles with mostly rust free body. It needs tires and batteries so I'm all-in for about $1100.

Smashingchuck and Number 21:
I'm trying to 'think positive' about the VIN verification but that will change really quickly if the local sheriff or State Trooper gives me lot of grief. I've met the local sheriff deputies several times (on Neighborhood Watch nights) and they are mostly pretty good guys. Hopefully, they don't change my opinion of them with the Vin Verification process.....
Old 09-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #16
Damien

I had an officer check the vin against the one on my insurance card once during a traffic stop. I don't know if he actually ran it in the computer though. He told me if the vin on the insurance card didn't match the car, even due to an error by the insurance company, it would not be legal and he could impound the car. That is a really good way to upset someone.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #17
Number21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I had an officer check the vin against the one on my insurance card once during a traffic stop. I don't know if he actually ran it in the computer though. He told me if the vin on the insurance card didn't match the car, even due to an error by the insurance company, it would not be legal and he could impound the car. That is a really good way to upset someone.
Guess that depends on the state and the circumstances. Since I just bought my '79, I haven't insured it yet, but technically with my other vehicle insurance I'm supposed to be insured in whatever I drive. So I drive around with the title, bill of sale, and the insurance card out my Jeep with it's VIN. I can always just say "I just bought it yesterday!".
(then again last time I got pulled over he didn't even ask for my name or license. )

Last edited by Number21; 09-10-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
Prerunner1982

Quote:
Prerunner 1982:
Yeah, steelsoldiers web site is great and has the same passion for military vehicles that the folks here have for Chevy/GMC trucks.
Yep they sure do. I have been on there for quite awhile under the same name. I don't post much though since I dont have a MV. When I was in the Army and working on them and around them alot I posted more... but have been out for a couple of years. Would like to find a M1008 or M1028...
Oklahoma Roll Call

Last edited by Prerunner1982; 09-11-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote