The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
Chuck78

Re: 60-62 clutch/brake combo master cylinder SWAP to ft discs and power??? clutch MC

more clearance than the picture shows to the valve covers, although it is close to the breather/fill cap. Thought about swapping that valve cover tot he other side, but although it's a bit close, it's no issue whatsoever and I could have run a 9" booster.

With the aftermarket setups, they appear (I now realize) to use a plate to bolt into the three bolt pattern where the old master bolted to. I drilled new holes through the firewall to mount my new booster bracket, which took some slight planning, as I was drilling through several double paneled areas, and the inside panels have lots of contours and hollow spots. The bracket fab was the most time consuming part, pushrod planning and assembly was second. There seems to be no straightforward, of the shelf answer to those, but it wasn't terribly difficult with minor MIG welding skills and some basic fabrication know-how.
With a 1-1/8" bore master and stock pedal pivot location, the power brakes (esp. with a dual diaphragm booster!) are pretty darn touchy now, and I have no problem stopping REALLY FAST. Rears lock up first, but not so much that it's a problem. I do have extra weight in the rear, being a panel truck, so maybe it'd be worse with a pickup bed. Something to consider. With this power swap, front discs seem now to be a slightly lower priority.

I like this setup because it looks stock, and uses the stock linkages. Although the quick take up masters work better (less drag), and the Wilwood remote capable mini-master are fancy and billet and probably easier swap, I wanted to keep with a somewhat period look. Plastic reservoirs don't look right on vintage Detroit sheetmetal! The clutch stuff was really a direct bolt on, after drilling out the two dimples in the firewall, and disassembling to remove the little residual valve! Brake lines and the booster stuff were a bit of work, but not frustrating or terribly difficult.
*Many 1977-1979 Suzuki GS motorcycles, Kawasaki KDX220R, '77 Suzuki PE250, etc
Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
Chuck78

Re: 60-62 clutch/brake combo master cylinder SWAP to ft discs and power??? clutch MC

here's the clearance with the 8" dual diaphragm booster, and a better side shot of the half and half bracket I made from the aftermarket piece and the donor vehicle for my future front disc swap (89 suburban). The purple sleeve is off the 89, which fit right onto the rubber boot on the pirate jack;s MBM master.

also, I'll have to take a photo of the lines, but I didn't even have to cut and flare the lines I bought! 60" piece was perfect for the crossmember, and I think a 30" piece (?) was perfect for the master to the first tee on the front brakes. some trucks use a 1/4" line to the rear, mine used a 3/16". I had to get a reducing fitting to go into the 1/4" line size union, and a 3/8"x24tpi inverted flare plug to plug off where the rear line was fed off the right front. Can't remember the size for the 1/4", but I think it's a 7/16x24 or 20 tpi? It's standard.
swapping to discs eventually when I have time (never!) will require a lot of fitting, cutting, bending, and flaring for the prop valve.
Attached Images

*Many 1977-1979 Suzuki GS motorcycles, Kawasaki KDX220R, '77 Suzuki PE250, etc

Last edited by Chuck78; 09-13-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Chuck78 is offline   Reply With Quote