The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
73c201

cab swap

Hi, i am attempting to swap cabs from a 85 to 87 chev pick up and wondering if anyone has a procedure for doing this? i searched the forum but the info is kind of vague..i do not plan to remove the doors or the glass if possible, its not a show type truck just a work truck that the cab is so bad the doors won;t close. do i just pass a 4x4 through the windows and hoist it off with a cherry picker? i do not have a hoist/lift.
thanks! you can also reply to Harkemasso@aol.com
73c201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
menace121978

Re: cab swap

Welcome to the board!

dude, taking off the cab with the doors on is a rough way to go. i took the doors and all the interior out of mine and lifted it off with 4 big boys. man it was rough!!! to say the least! i thought the pinch weld on the bottom of the cab had cut my fingers off and we only moved it off the frame and to the right about 5 feet. my neighbor was complaining about his back for 2 weeks after... i'd suggest getting a couple extra guys if your going to do it all assembled like that. ive seen pics and heard of others using a engine hoist with 4x4 and some type of load leveler but i remember them saying they wouldnt ever do it again... good luck man... someone here will chime in w/ better advice probably. good luck!

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #3
rod86
great southern land

i used a tractor with loader on the front and lifted it with a strap through the doors, worked fine.. but then again, you need a tractor...

86 chevy c10 silverado
rod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
whiskeydented

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod86 View Post
i used a tractor with loader on the front and lifted it with a strap through the doors, worked fine.. but then again, you need a tractor...
That is how I did it last weekend but used a forklift instead
whiskeydented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
73c201

thanks for the posts so far and the "welcome"!
rod , and whiskey, did you guys leave your doors on? or have them off? just thought it would add some support to leave the doors on instead of just lifting by the roof alone- i plan to take the interior out so less weight.

thanks !
73c201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I would go to lowes and buy a nylon truck tie down and use that with a come along to lift and lower the cab if doing this without use of a lift is necessary

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
whiskeydented

I left the doors on, they were junk doors but they were not damaged.
whiskeydented is offline   Reply With Quote