The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
outkast21

A/C swap

Has anyone ever tried installing a complete a/c system from an 87 1500 into a 63 C10? I mean heater box and all, under the dash, control head andeverything else. Something I've been thinking about doing but would like your opnion. Thanks guys in advance.
outkast21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Eagar1

Re: A/C swap

Why would you want that monstrosity in your engine bay? Of all the things GM designed, that had to be the worst, especially when there is tons of space under the dash. Besides that, they mounted the A/C compressor clear over on the wrong side of the engine, sheesh, what a clusterf**k.
You can use the compressor, but get the brackets for the passenger side. Probably use the condensor and accumulator with no problems, then just get a good underdash unit cheap or get a nice kit form vintage air, I think you can just order the parts you need for under the dash, saving you alot of cash if you already have the parts under the hood. If you were real creative, you could dissassemble the exchanger and build your own box under the dash and run hoses from it to any kind of vents you wanted too. The only trouble you would have is rigging some type of controls.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I think it might be easier to retrofit a smaller A/C unit from something else like maybe a mid sized car. Or maybe from a '88 and up truck? Don't know if that is any better or not.....I can't visualize what they look like ATM. Just throwing some ideas out there.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 09-16-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #4
hewlett2002000

i thought about doing the same thing to save some cash. i did some research and i would go with a gm car setup. much smaller and easier to work with.
John
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.

When you fail to show consideration to others values you are showing disrespect.
hewlett2002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
chris91

there is a post where someone used the a/c from an 81 chevy citation.
chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote