The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
Mr.Lahey

1977 GMC Sierra Grande

Hey, new here.

Im going going to be picking one up sometime at the beginning of September and i have a few questions

Background: It has a 350(not sure of millage, i will find out when we talk at the end of the month) , auto tranny, shortbox. It has been sitting for 5 years (indoors) and it was painted a few years before it was put away. It is 5 hours away, and wont be able to get a good look at it until it arrives at my house (guy will be dropping pictures off at the end of the month).
When i get it i will be changing all the fluids and plugs, and doing a safety (dad is a mechanic).

Is there anything that commonly went bad on these? Anything in particular to look for?

I was also wondering if anyone has pics of one of these specific trucks. I cant find any good ones.

Any help would be appreciated

Mr.Lahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Re: 1977 GMC Sierra Grande

Hi and welcome from L.A. Since your Dad is a mechanic, he should be up to speed on how to prep your truck for safety and road worthiness. In my personal experience, this vintage of truck is darn near bullet proof. My '78 has less than 160,000 miles on it, so it hasn't been driven that much in its 31 years. At one time, it sat for over six years and all I needed to make it road worthy was a new set of tires. Other than exterior parts (alternator, water pump, etc), I've never had a serious problem with my truck. If you do, I guarantee that the knowledgeable members of this Board will have a solution. Post pics when you can!
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #3
Mr.Lahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Big10 454 View Post
Hi and welcome from L.A. Since your Dad is a mechanic, he should be up to speed on how to prep your truck for safety and road worthiness. In my personal experience, this vintage of truck is darn near bullet proof. My '78 has less than 160,000 miles on it, so it hasn't been driven that much in its 31 years. At one time, it sat for over six years and all I needed to make it road worthy was a new set of tires. Other than exterior parts (alternator, water pump, etc), I've never had a serious problem with my truck. If you do, I guarantee that the knowledgeable members of this Board will have a solution. Post pics when you can!
Thanks for the Welcome. This is going to be my first vehicle. So its pretty exciting! Haha. They guy told me it had around 100,000 miles. My dad is going to be helping me quite a bit with this. But i want to do as much of the work myself as i can. Good to hear they are tough trucks though. Tires are also probably going to be my first big buy for this thing. Then a sound system.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
silvereagle07

Welcome aboard!

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum. Post those pics when you get them.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

Welcome to the forum.

I second what everyone else has said about these trucks being tough as nails. I know a married couple from Iowa with a yellow shortbed 2wd of about the same vintage, all original, with under 75,000mi. on it. They use it to pull their 30ft. camper every Labor Day weekend. My '81 will easily pull 3 tons.

One thing on these trucks that you want to check out is the power steering system. All the ones I have looked at are prone to leaking.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Mr.Lahey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootin 81 C20 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I second what everyone else has said about these trucks being tough as nails. I know a married couple from Iowa with a yellow shortbed 2wd of about the same vintage, all original, with under 75,000mi. on it. They use it to pull their 30ft. camper every Labor Day weekend. My '81 will easily pull 3 tons.

One thing on these trucks that you want to check out is the power steering system. All the ones I have looked at are prone to leaking.
Okay, thanks for the info.

I will post the pics as soon as i get them.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

I agree. Bullet proof trucks overall. But I too have had power steering problems. Oh when you and your dad are checking it out, make sure to go through the drive line, u-joints, seals, rear end, etc.. Good for you getting a project for a first vehicle. I tried to do that but did not have the patience, knowledge, or money to drive that particular 64 GMC daily in high school. And, now that my grandpa is gone, who gave it to me, I really miss it. Be patient with your truck, and try to soak up anything your dad will teach you. It is worth it to learn how to do things to your truck.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Mr.Lahey

Well, it was all going farely well. Until yesterday he called, said he was talked out of selling it then hung up on me. That was a pretty rude thing to do. Why lead me on about buying my first vehicle, then change your mind. I guess a handshake doesnt mean anything to this guy.

Last time i talked to him the first thing he said was "Dont worry the deal is still on, my handshake is good."
Old 09-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

As bad as that sucks, it try not to take it so hard. There are plenty of truvks out there, you just have to find another one.

Now you know that even some peoples word has no value.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Man, sorry to hear that. But like was said. These trucks are everywhere. Find another one. You may even find one on here. Keep your eye out. One will come up for you.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Keith Seymore

I'm sorry to hear that, too. Fortunately (or unfortunately) it was a learning experience for you. That's the problem with "experience" - you have to go through it to get it!!

I highly encourage you to stick with a truck for your first vehicle. I think they are a great choice: front engine, rear wheel drive, full frame, V8 power - plus - they can haul stuff like bicycles and your buddy's furniture, etc.

Start looking now for a bumper sticker that says: "Yes, this is my truck. No, I won't help you move."

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Awesome screen name.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote