The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
ortega

msd street fire

has anybody ever used the street fire line from msd in their trucks? i would like to get a streetfire distributor but i want to know if there would be a notable difference from my stock hei distributor? any suggestions on a good performance distributer?
ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
shrtbx

Re: msd street fire

I use a mallory and it works just fine. I have an msd distributor on another ride and it works great too. I thinke its just a matter of personal opinion. But thats just me. Are you running an msd box as well? The box works great along with an HEI distributor. I would suggest running bigger wires too. It will only help.

Last edited by shrtbx; 09-18-2009 at 03:20 AM.
shrtbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Pyrotechnic

Not any better than stock and chinese made. Infact, they don't even have nylon pads under the weights on the mechanical advance like the genuine GM distributors do. The advance curve behaves like it's already worn out - it has about 3-4 degrees of high RPM advance creep. Another punch in the face is that it's the same $50 skip white ebay distributor with a different gear on it, but it costs about 3 times as much.

Distributors that WILL be a definite improvement over stock are MSD's Pro Billet series. Get the 8360 ready to run, or the 8361 if you want to run an MSD box. These are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Either keep your genuine GM part, or get a MSD Pro-Billet.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
ortega

thats exactly what i wanted to know i didnt want to go and spend 150 for something that is going to be the same as what i already have. i would rather do some other things first

Last edited by ortega; 09-18-2009 at 06:04 PM.
ortega is offline   Reply With Quote