The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
prg machine

plug fouling

My engine started an intermitent miss and stuttering that came and went and made me think I had valves sticking in the odd numbered (left) bank of the engine . I finaly pulled plugs and number 1 and 3 looked normal with a tan to white insulator and some very faint white ash build up around the ground lug and down inside the barrel. pretty clean for the most part. Number 5 and 7 were fouled with a dark grey to black crusty/carbon build up bridged along the inside of the ground lug and reaching to the insulator. Very hard to remove with a dental pick. Almost welded like. The electrode was not bridged and was still firing for the most part but I could see where this was my problem of misfires on occasion.
I cleaned em up and re-installed and runs great. I need to check the even numbered bank tommorow. The engine has not quite 3,000 miles, still running 30 wt. changed after 500 and once again at another 1000 and due now to change to something different. I was thinking a 10-40 Castrol might be a good choice.
Why just number 5 and 7?
I am running Autolite 26 plugs. I am getting in to a shop for air fuel mixture scope analysis to check the jetting as well. The plug wires are all brand new MSD and are not damaged in any way.
I know this is old wives tale stuff..................but is there some misfire problems between the number 5 and 7 cylinders due to wire routing?

Any advice??

I don't understand why 2 plugs were in this condition unless there was residual break in oil in those 2 cylinders? Engine does not smoke, runs real strong. The misfiring would develop after a period of low speed running or de-acceleration and high vaccuum.
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
jhow66

Re: plug fouling

Could be damaged valve seals on those two cylinders (or missings). Could be damaged intake gasket (at bottom) pulling oil into those two ports from lifter galley at times of high vaccum-best bet. Crossed plug wires on 5 & 7?
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
prg machine

I am checking that theory of inductive crossfire on 5 and 7 tommorow. I used the new Edelbrock gaskets when setting the intake down.............not ruling that theory out though.
The crossfire thing is my bet, even though MSD says their technology "prevents" crossfire , does not totaly rule it out. I wish I could find something about what I was told many years ago about how to cross over certain wires to prevent the crossfire thing, but I can't seem to be able to find it on Google.
I plan on making sure that 5 and 7 aren't running close together like side by side .
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
Old 03-21-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
jhow66

I was talking about having #5 wire plugged on # 7.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

This may sound really stupid to you.
Do you park the truck facing "uphill"?

If the valve seals on those 2 cylinder are bad, the oil on the top of the heads could be draining "downhill" and through the valve seals & into the cylinders.

Just a thought. A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Chevy van, maybe 20 years ago, or more.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
prg machine

It seems that I might have a fuel mixture problem with carb. I am getting it annalyzed ASAP
Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
spinning wheels

Seems like you have done a lot of troubleshooting already.

What distributor are you using?

Check your dist. cap for any moisture or cracks.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
prg machine

The MSD billet dizzy. I seperated out the 5 and 7 wires completely away from each other and told the guy at the test shop I called about the old theory of crossfires and he doubts that with the MSD wires that would happen. He strongly expects the fuel/air mix-jetting.
I will check the cap however.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
prg machine

An important point came up today.....................'are there baffles in those valve covers?" I was asked.....................no I said.

There is a strong chance this could be the problem, maybe. I have some baffles to instal under the PCV valve to keep oil from getting sucked into intake. The problem is coming from upper end oil.
The intake leaking theory was ruled out by the guru who demonstrated with a piece of paper over the breather hole that there was no suction with the PCV valve un hooked from the opposite cover. If there was, it would indicate manifold suction from a leak at the intake manifold sucking through the cranck case.

I will keep this updated as I get down to it.

Valve stem seal or guide leakage is not ruled out however.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
prg machine

baffle under the PCV grommet in valve cover did the trick! Truck is running better than ever. Oil consumption is no more as well.
For once, big problem, little fix!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow66 View Post
Could be damaged valve seals on those two cylinders (or missings). Could be damaged intake gasket (at bottom) pulling oil into those two ports from lifter galley at times of high vaccum-best bet. Crossed plug wires on 5 & 7?

The plugs are fouling again. Had a shop check intake valve stem seals. They are perfect circle and in good shape and stem clearance is as it should be. ( Only 10,000 on rebuilt heads and engine) The exhaust seals were stock and the I had the shop replace with umbrella seals.
Runs great with new plugs. Next week it is getting new manifold gaskets............thicker. I believe the head angle and manifold angle could be mismatched enough to cause a problem on the galley side.

More later..................( after the pocket book is empty!)
Old 09-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
prg machine

CURED! The intake manifold gaskets were just too tall enough that the raised boss of the gasket didn't seal properly to the bottom of the manifold because the bottom edge wasn't seated allowing oil seepage. Not enough to cause vaccuum loss that was noticeable, but enough to get oil vapors.

I ditched the 1 inch phenolic carb spacer as well and now there is more bottom end off the line and a smoother start for street use.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
mclairmo

What brand gasket was the problem one? Also, was your spacer 4 hole or open?
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
prg machine

felpro if I remember correctly is what Edelbrock reccomended. Mr. Gasket in there now

4 hole Summit Phenolic.

Runs so much nicer without it.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 AM   #15
airdale94

Yes, never run the the plastic Fel-Pro with a aluminum manifold. Use the cardboard Mr. Gaskets. Had the exact same problem.
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
prg machine

I copied this from the instruction page on line from edelbrock. I ordered these and they caused the problem.

(copy):

• GASKETS: Do not use competition-style intake gaskets for this street manifold. Due to material deterioration over time,
internal leakage of vacuum, oil, and coolant may occur. NOTE: YOU MUST USE a factory metal valley tray gasket along
with the Edelbrock gaskets listed below. If your stock valley tray is in good condition, it may be re-used.
INTAKE MANIFOLD REFERENCE RECOMMENDED GASKET
7530, 7531 (None) Edelbrock #7213; Port: 1.13” x 2.21”, .030” Thickness

Anyway. Mr. Gasket now.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Something sounds fishy to me but if it's running good, not fouling plugs, and not burning oil then I guess you're ok.

I would be suspicious of the rings and the valve seals both if it were me. There are 3 things that can foul a plug, gas, oil, water. Each of them put out a different color of smoke. Black, bluish grey, and white. If you fouled a plug no matter where the gas, oil, or water came from, it should have been smoking. Black would be fuel, blue or grey would be oil, and white would be water. If the plugs had a dull black buildup on them it's usually fuel. If it was gummy and shiny black it's probably oil. These can be hard to discern sometimes. However, if the plug had a brown buildup it's definitely water.

I don't know what intake you're running but I've never seen one that was so misaligned with the gaskets that you could suck oil into a cylinder without shooting coolant into the oil from the head whether you have a blocker in place or not.

Just doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited by highperf4x4; 09-18-2009 at 02:45 PM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #18
prg machine

You'd have to see the gasket compression pattern to fully understand. Oil fouling on three cylinders. Mismatch on those same three was at the bottom of the intake ports causing oil vapor to suck in especialy under de-compression when the vac gauge was reading over 20 lbs. The replacement gaskets were not as tall and consequently seal where they need to. The engine is running like it never has. 10,000 miles on engine, no smoke, blue or otherwise.
I am monitoring oil consumption for now. Before the manifold came off for the new gaskets Oil consumption was at 1 qt / 500 miles since new when engine was first stared up. you could smell it in the exhaust and see blue smoke if the humidity was up when backing up on a cold morning.

There was a film of oil along the bottoms of those same 3 port runners as well indicating oil intake at that point. The intake valve stem seals were in good shape and were the Perfect Circle brand. Umbrella seals and new o-ring seals were installed on the exhust valve stems for good measure.

Like I say I am monitoring oil consumption and so far so good with performance. Detonation is not an issue anymore as well since oil will lower octane level.

I am currious what Edelbrock means by the stock oil splash shield however. I have one on a Buick engine, but it has an open galley to the crankcase. The Chevy has a closed galley. I have never seen one in a Chevy engine..................but my engine experience is limited to just a few.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #19
prg machine

I might ad that the oil pattern was very noticeably on one side of the plug indicating not coming from the bottom end or rings. Top end leakage definitely.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #20
mclairmo

I believe some intakes have a splash shield riveted or attached to the bottom somehow.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #21
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Well, it sounds like you've done the research and found alot of good evidence. Best of luck with it now and thx for sharing you're experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I believe some intakes have a splash shield riveted or attached to the bottom somehow.
That is correct.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #22
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow66 View Post

Seems to be the case
Old 09-19-2009, 02:27 AM   #23
airdale94

PRG- yeah they always say that about the hp gaskets. But you know the plastic Fel-Pros don't work. What it is, it's your new Edelbrock intake is warped. I had to have .060" planed off of one of my new Edelbrock's. You should be allright with the Mr. Gasket at least 60k miles for it's starts to deteriorate
airdale94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
prg machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale94 View Post
PRG- yeah they always say that about the hp gaskets. But you know the plastic Fel-Pros don't work. What it is, it's your new Edelbrock intake is warped. I had to have .060" planed off of one of my new Edelbrock's. You should be allright with the Mr. Gasket at least 60k miles for it's starts to deteriorate

GREAT!!! more good news