The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
bamafrost

Newbie needs helpful advice

FNG from Alabama (1968 C10 Fleetside shorty)

Hi'yall…

Just joined, so let the hazing begin. Hahaha

Just bought a project C10 (for $2300) that I have big plans for…and I could use some advice from all you guys that have "been there, done that". I am not that mechanically inclined by I will try doing much of the work myself and with gearhead buds to save bucks. Just don't want to make any stupid and costly misteaks (oops, see what I mean…mistakes).

Currently has a newly rebuilt 305/2 bbl and 350TH in it…but I am having a 700R4 gone through and plan to install it. I am doing a driver that'll get good mpg.

The C10 needs the usual…cab corners, maybe doors (I'll get '72 as they are better I am told due to notched area for vent wing lever) as patch panels and labor would probably be a push $-wise.

I want to do a few things, so I'll list them and ask for advice on those:

1) I want to install a 700R4 trans…aside from trans cross member will it just bolt in place and clear bottom of cab trans tunnel?

2) I want to install CST buckets and console…but could use a lead on same and any advice on fitment of a low-back/no headrest split bench set-up out of a later model Chevy truck.

3) I want to move gas tank to the back…what's the best/most cost-effective tank/kit?
I don't want to look like a side order @ Popeye's Chicken.

4) Want advice on conservative lowering as I don't want to effect caster/camber too badly. I was thinking a 3/4." coil drop (?) Are springs the best way…or dropped spindles on the front and what on the rear. Will probably run either 16" IROC chrome rims all around…or 15" Torque Thrust II's.

5) I want to go to 12" Power discs on the front (5 on 5).

Wow…that's a lot of stuff for such a non-mechanical newbie to ask of you guys. But, please help out this old and confused gearhead. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!! Tom
bamafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Newbie needs helpful advice

welcome to the board!
moved to the truck forum (was on the burb one)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Haze haze haze... There... you've been hazed...

1) You have to worry about making sure the TV cable is set up correctly, or it will burn up the transmission. And I think the coolant lines hook up differently too. I do know there is a thing about a non-lockup and lockup trans... and I think with the lockup one you have to buy some sort of kit to get it to work correctly.
2)... no idea...
3) I think there is somebody on here called fuelcellguy... and he makes fuel cells that go under the bed.
As far as filling the tank... my favorite has been the s10 filler door cut to hide behind the rear side marker light, so that it's hidden.
4) I did a 2" drop all around with coil springs, and didn't have any problems... then again I did take it immediately to get it aligned, and I do remember the guy putting shims into the upper control arm... thingys... So I guess as long as you spring for the alignment, you shouldn't have a problem.
5) no idea... I have a 72 that came with front power discs... I guess you could pull that whole setup off of a truck at the junkyard, and replace the worn out pieces with new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafrost
maybe doors (I'll get '72 as they are better I am told due to notched area for vent wing lever)
Say what?
I have a 72, with the drivers side door off of... some other year... it's not a 72 door... and I don't have any problems with my vent wing levers... I don't even thing the vent wing levers go down far enough to mess with the door frame at all. I know what you're talking about though. There is a dimple on the 72 door with a screw in it by the vent window... but it doesn't affect the lever at all.

edit:
p.s.
Whoever told you the 72 doors were better, keep them away from your truck... if they think that, god knows what other crap they believe in. You could probably convince them that they need to change the air in their tires because it's almost winter time, and you don't want to be driving with summer air in the tires...
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 09-21-2009 at 08:48 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
bamafrost

Thanks to all that have responded to my post. I appreciate all the help...keep it coming. Tom
Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

72 disks will work on a 68 but you have to use the 72 master cylinder and prop valve. Good thing you said you wanted 5 on 5 because if you use 72 C-10 disks you got no choice. I would also buy new hoses when you do it.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
americanmusc1e

hey, welcome from Texas!!!!

and we want pictures of the truck!!!!!

and I'll sell you a 700r4 cheap!!!! I've had enough of them....... but you probably don't want mine.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

and american muscle probably doesn't actually mean to be selling in this thread...
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #8
americanmusc1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
and american muscle probably doesn't actually mean to be selling in this thread...
whooops!!!! sorry guys!!! what I was trying to say was:

I wouldn't buy another 700r4. they are toooo weak for my kind of driving. and mine has $1300 worth of modifications in it.

I wish I could get my money back on the 700r4, but I wouldn't wish it off on anyone else!!!!!!

here is some more advice, If your gonna sell stuff.......... BECOME A SITE SUPPORTER............which I should have done a long time ago

if your not a site supporter and you mention anything that sounds like your trying to sell something................longhornman or annother mod. will get you

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
bamafrost

Newbie needs seat help

Any idea what late model seats (I was thinking maybe 00-06 Silverado buckets w/the buillt in shoulder belt) would work. I'd prefer CST seats and console but they are kinda hard to find and a bit pricy...plus I'd have to re-upholster as I am not feelin' the odd cowboy embossing thing as my car will be custom.

Any advice will be appreciated. Again, thanks for all the helpful posts.

Tom