The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
twistednut

Torsion bar adjusting

I know you guys have talked about this before but I still aint getting it, I need pictures or something. I have a 61 and cant get the bars to budge. the bar goes thru the lower A arm, there a nut in front and in back of the A arm and its on a jack off the ground and theres no way in hell it's moving. what am i doing wrong, and no I'm not buying a 150.00 dollar tool so lets be creative Please. The only place i see to put a wrench is on either of the nuts on the A arm.
twistednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Torsion bar adjusting

The torsion bars are not adjusted near the control arms. The other end of each t-bar attaches to a lever, which is held in a crossmember by an adjusting bolt. This crossmember is to the rear of the transmission. The lever points toward the center of the chassis, and the bolt is installed vertically. Tightening this bolt (one on each side) increases the tension and lifts the truck, or turning counter clockwise will drop the ride height.

If you still have problems respond and I'll scan a couple of pictures.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:59 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here's a picture out of the torsion bar suspension out of the truck. The levers at the rear of the bars are what change the tension.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
twistednut

Thanks Mark, No one ever said where it was located befroe, and the pic is nice. Twistednut
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

that picture's worth a bunch of words for sure. Twisted, I'd suggest you refer back to recent discussions on this subject for SAFETY-related issues when removing/adjusting (esp. the post about what can happen if the adj bolt breaks)
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
twistednut

Yea i tried looking thru the old threads and most were replys from people that already knew what and where it was and so it was like trying to figure out japaneese on the chineese radio. but i got most of it already. bad thing about going back to old threads is you can only read and not reply.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistednut View Post
Yea i tried looking thru the old threads and most were replys from people that already knew what and where it was and so it was like trying to figure out japaneese on the chineese radio. but i got most of it already. bad thing about going back to old threads is you can only read and not reply.
Ah, I get your point after reading the thread I was referring to (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=356123). My concern was a comment about halfway down that thread from a guy who broke his wrist (apparently) when the bolt broke.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
twistednut

well it can be dangerous no matter what your doing, I've heard where guys were to stupid to secure the car up on proper stands and the car fell on them crushing them, guess the conrete block and stump werent positioned correctly, so not sasying the guy did something stupid, god knows i never did LOL, but S#*& happens.