The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
polaris21

What to do for bumper laws?

Ill be picking up a 87 chevy k10 that is lifted 9 in and has 36 on it. But i just read the laws for illinois, and the front bumper cant be higher thaan 27 in and the back cant be higher than 30 in. there is no way im lowering it. Im actually makeing it bigger. so what do you guys/girls do to keep the cops off of you of your lifted rigs?
polaris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
6772owner
Gearhead

Re: What to do for bumper laws?

Im in Colorado, but my bro had an 85' K10 with 9" lift (6" suspension/3" body) and 40's and he never had any trouble here. He did make a large (10" tall) C-channel front bumper that hung down a little further than stock, but had a factory rear bumper. Maybe you could fab up some bumpers that hang down enough to be legal?? Otherwise Im not really sure what else you could do. Sorry if this doesnt help much.

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Tater
Cradle Robber

Where in NW Illinois do you live?I'm in the Elgin area and I know of alot of trucks with 10" and 12" lifts with 44's and they don't get bothered.I don't think it's enforced much

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
polaris21

I live by freeport Illinois. I nowgoing to take my chance on running it like it is for now, but when i lift it for 44 im going to have to make bumpers to make it look halfway legal. Its not going to be a daily driver anyhow, so i hope ill be fine. if not ill try the lower bumpers.
polaris21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Here in Ohio, when the laws were first written and enforced, you could not modify/lower the bumpers at all. Any modification resulted in measurements being made from the frame itself....This all took place around '89-'90? IIRC
The laws have either been changed in the last few years, or the enforcement has gotten very lax, because trucks have been going up. Heck even some of these "donks" are higher than a truck would have been allowed, back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Do what you want,but realize when you run outside the law you never know when your day will be ruined by a cop deciding to enforce the law.The bigger the tire/higher the truck,the more likely that will happen.Here in Maryland we go with K/30s because the law pertains to trucks under 10,000# GVW.That`s were one tons start and 3/4 tons stop.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

It's the same thing here Tim, the over 10K GVW is exempt. I never did quite understand this "loophole" though? The law is supposed to be about safety....so why is a bigger/heavier truck allowed to be "what is considered unsafe for others"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Because over 10,000 are real work trucks and very few are pickup trucks.Beds come in all configurations and trucks vary in design according to the purpose of their build.Figure Oshkosh snow plows are in that group as well as any registered piece of equipment that is hardly a truck.at least that`s what I figure.Look at a 1t dump,no rear bumper at all.4wd guys made it a loop hole.Here in Maryland that`s where the emissions laws dropped off,too,as well as inspections.so,these are laws for personal vehicles,I guess.What do you think?That`s always been my take on it.Maybe the DMV knows a truck needs one ton axles to run such big tires.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-23-2009 at 08:13 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #9
409sbc pwr

i live in a small town and it seams like all the cops here love to pick on lifted trucks there is no way around it i have 6 inches of lift and 35s on a 1/2 ton and thats too tall and i plan on going bigger there is really no way to make bumpers legal that look good. i have learned the hard way to many times and the only way to keep your nose clean is not have too loud of exhaust and drive like a granny most of the time they pull u over for something else then nail ya with the overheigtht ticket!! good luck man

2007 2500 HD, 10-12 cognito lift, 38x13.50 toyos soon to be boosted via rearmount system
409sbc pwr is offline   Reply With Quote