The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

fuel pump out i believe

I believe the fuel pump in my truck is out. It cranks, runs on what i pour in the carb but no fuel is getting to the carb. I replaced the fuel line and inline filter on the engine side of the pump.

What are everyones thoughts on this? It ran before I started the new carb and intake install although I did not try to run it for more then 100 feet on and off a trailer when I bought it. Maybe it was running on what was in the fuel bowl then? Any input on if I can look for anything else?
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Re: fuel pump out i believe

Unscrew the fuel line from the carb, put the end of the line into a jar. (So you don't get gas everywhere) Have someone crank the engine and see if gas squirts out of the line. If it does, and you got a Rochester Q-jet, it has an internal filter inside where the fuel line goes into the carb. You have to remove that big nut. It could be that filter which is clogged.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
cdowns

do what he said if no fuel pumps out of the line take the line from the tank to the pump off at the pump and use lo pressure(10-15lbs) air with gascap off to blow back into tankif you then get fuel to come out the line that means the in tank strainer is getting clogged up with crap in the tank
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I agree with what`s been said.Basically,you need to determine if fuel is getting "to" the carb (it should "gush"from the line).If not,is it getting "to" the pump (it should flow like a garden hose)?If not,the next thing is if it`s getting "to" the line between the tank and pump.If not,it`s not making it through the strainer.If yes,the line between the tank and pump is clogged.
If gas is making it to the carb in good supply then and the in-carb filter isn`t clogged the problem is in the carb.Is it brand new,as in never had gas run through it?even if gas was only run through it briefly and it`s been awhile today`s gas is crap and it will clog the carb up.It acts like a carb with a bad accelerator pump if it`s getting gas.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote