The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Bad Gas

So I know I probably have bad gas... I mean... It doesn't smell bad, but it's a funny color... (in my truck... not my... yeah). So... I parked it about a year ago, with what looks like less than a quarter tank. If I fill the tank up the rest of the way and shake the crap out of truck, will it dillute it enough that I should be ok?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Bad Gas

i'd fill up the tank and also add a couple of cans of drygas in case theres any moisture also after running about half the tank out change the fuel filter and dont forgewt to check the airfilter
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
68lwb292
Ex-Minitrucker

I use Seafoam, but don't use a whole can unless its 20 gallons or more I only used a half a can in my behind the seat tank.
68lwb292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Seafoam? What is that?
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
68lwb292
Ex-Minitrucker

They sell it at your parts store where the fuel treatment is. It can be kind of expensive but it the best stuff out there but if you use to much it will run crappy till you run it out. I've put it in a running car that was running rough and you could hear it when it got to the motor it smoothed right out. It can also be sucked in through a vacuum hose for a top engine cleaner, and in the oil for an engine treatment it stopped my motor from smoking when i used it in the oil. I poured half in the oil and half in the tank but be sure your tank is full because it is a treatment and it will make it run bad if you use more than needed.

Last edited by 68lwb292; 09-22-2009 at 08:20 AM.
68lwb292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
rwolf9653
more ideas than money

Sea Foam is great stuff an works great. Since your tank has only been sitting for a year it is possible to dilute it with fresh gas and additives, as long as you are sure that there are NO contaniments in there. If there is rust, sludge, too much water, dust from sanding in the tank and you fill it up the rest of the way, you just made everything harder on yourself.

1948 Chevy 3100 5 window
1966 Chevy C30 Dually
1967 Chevy K10
1972 Chevy K20
1972 Chevy C10
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer
1987 Chevy V10
2003 Chevy Suburban
rwolf9653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I would drain the tank from underneath the cab and fill up with fresh gas.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
thejoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwolf9653 View Post
Sea Foam is great stuff an works great. Since your tank has only been sitting for a year it is possible to dilute it with fresh gas and additives, as long as you are sure that there are NO contaniments in there. If there is rust, sludge, too much water, dust from sanding in the tank and you fill it up the rest of the way, you just made everything harder on yourself.

rwolf9653 is right. Sea Foam is awesome! I use it periodically in all my gas engines to prevent carbon build up. I was first turned on to it when I had a very bad rattle in my motorcycle engine. I ran a whole can through it using 1/4 can each tank and cleared the chattering right up. I love the stuff!

68' C10 Short Step (rebuilding as we speak)
72' Custom Camper (wrecked, parting out)
79' C10 Fleet (rough, parting out)
97' C1500 Short Step Custom (DD)
97' Kawaski VN800a Customized
99' Z71 Silverado
04' Suzuki Volusia
thejoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Chada

If the fuel was ethanol and not stabilized I would consider draining it as well.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
jlolson

What if it doesn't work? Then you'll have to siphon 20 gallons of gas out of your tank and dispose of it. I just went through this with my truck. It's a hell of a lot easier to get rid of a 4 gallons of bad gas than having to deal with 20.
jlolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
Chada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlolson View Post
What if it doesn't work? Then you'll have to siphon 20 gallons of gas out of your tank and dispose of it. I just went through this with my truck. It's a hell of a lot easier to get rid of a 4 gallons of bad gas than having to deal with 20.
I have found that bad gas can be burned in small amounts mixed with good fuel. A couple of gallons a tank usually works out fine.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I know it wasn't chunky or syrupy... yet... because when I pulled the fuel pump off, gas came out of the line. Not the whole tank, but what was in the line. (Surprised the crap out of me to say the least).

IIOY???
Old 09-22-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
Chada

It doesnt usually get chunky it turns to varnish.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
UltraBlue71

Varnished gasoline has a very unique smell to me, kind of like when you crack an old carb open to rebuild it. I had to get rid of 10 gallons of very bad gasline that was in my saddle tanks, please dont just pour it out somewhere whatever you do, be kind to the watertable!

71 LWB
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I would syphon it into a 5 gal jug and burn it in the mower then top the tank off and run it

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #16
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Where I live there is a truck that comes around called the "Hazmat mobile." They charge very little if anything to dispose of your old gas. antifreeze, paint, batteries and motor oil. I would look in your phonebook to see if you have a service like that in your area. If it smells or looks funny I sure wouldn't run it through my truck. Noooooooo...

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
I would syphon it into a 5 gal jug and burn it in the mower then top the tank off and run it
So this "craptastic" gas will be ok for the lawn mower?

I'll just do that.

IIOY???
Old 09-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Lucky day... my city doesn't charge me to dispose of bad gas. And now I have 4 5 gallon gas jugs to put in the bed for roadtrips.

IIOY???
Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
ner0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddtheodd View Post
so this "craptastic" gas will be ok for the lawn mower?

I'll just do that.
lol
ner0 is offline   Reply With Quote