The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Sniper X

My 1974 update

So, I got the brakes done, finally, but not really DONE...but they work well enough to not worry about being able to stop!

I replaced every electrical switch that has anything to do important as well, brake light switch, dimmer switch, turn signal switch, and also did a new fuel tank selector valve. I am super happy about the tank selector valve because my fuel gauge doesn't work and I really wanted a back up other than a gas can. Both my 74 and 78 had bad valves on the tank and both were bypassed. I really wonder why people do this since it is really cheap to fix....mine cost 40 bucks. I did have to do it with a universal electric one but it is almost identical to the stocker only taking a different mounting point because of the bracket, and a different connector on the hot lead to it. All in all, it only took me an hour to mount and plumb in and I put a fuel filter in both source fuel lines to it from he tanks and another out of it.

The new clutch and everything else work great, but one of the adjusters on the back brakes was stuck so I need another then the brakes will be great too.
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: My 1974 update

Brakes are good! What was the reason to replace all the switches? Gas gauge shouldn't be very hard to fix. Only a handful of things could be wrong with it.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Sniper X

Re: My 1974 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
Brakes are good! What was the reason to replace all the switches? Gas gauge shouldn't be very hard to fix. Only a handful of things could be wrong with it.
The turn signal switch wasn't even there anymore, the brake light switch was sticky and after lubing it worked, but they were 4$ so I changed it. The floor dimmer switch was bad and would turn off the headlight every second or third time I used it. And I needed the second tank for comfort purposes so changed out the fuel tank selector valve. Yes, brakes are nice to have!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote