The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Fox Delta

Torsion bar / SBC exhaust manifold clearance

Hi everyone,

Need some assistance here... My '63 has the torsion bar front suspension and the PO installed a later model 350 engine and trans - the issue I am running in to is the engine has the driver side oil dipstick and the correct exhaust manifolds for the engine (collects under the plugs) hits the frame - the old "ram" style manifolds exit at the motor mount, headers hit the torsion bar (and starter). The manifolds that he had on it collect over the spark plugs but the exhaust exit is right over the dipstick (preventing its use), and on the passenger side is too long for the head as there isn't a place to install the last (closest to the firewall) bolt.

Anyone know of the correct part or have ideas or suggestions?? I also have a collection of manifolds and headers for sale if anyone wants them.

Last edited by Fox Delta; 09-23-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Fox Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Torsion bar / SBC exhaust manifold clearance

I'm running a 350 in a 1960 GMC that had torsion bars when I first put it together. I'm not sure what type motor mounts you are using, but mine are 67? pickup mounts. I'm using the ram horn manifold that points to the rear. I believe this is from a 69 Impala/truck application but not sure. Following is a pic and a link to this type manifold. My dipstick is on the passenger side, but it should clear the ram manifold on the driver side the same as it does on the passenger side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Fox Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I'm running a 350 in a 1960 GMC that had torsion bars when I first put it together. I'm not sure what type motor mounts you are using, but mine are 67? pickup mounts. I'm using the ram horn manifold that points to the rear. I believe this is from a 69 Impala/truck application but not sure. Following is a pic and a link to this type manifold. My dipstick is on the passenger side, but it should clear the ram manifold on the driver side the same as it does on the passenger side.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3D1&viewitem=
thank you markeb01 - the PO already had the engine and trans in so I have no Idea what motor mounts he used. I will double check those manifolds and see.

Last edited by Fox Delta; 09-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Fox Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Delta View Post
thank you markeb01 - the PO already had the engine and trans in so I have no Idea what motor mounts he used. I will double check those manifolds and see.
OK I checked and my "ram" style manifolds and mine have the exhaust exiting straight down which is the problem... markeb01, it looks like yours has the exit angled towards the firewall at about 30 degrees... Thank you again for the picture!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
jchav62
1962 C-10

Are you sure it's a '63? Torsion bars stopped in '62. Your truck may be older than you think...maybe someone 'titled' it as a '63. Either way, it's still a very cool truck.. I dig it...
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/

1962 C10 Shortbed Fleetside 327/th350 GV overdrive
1974 C10 Longbed Fleetside 350/th350 "The Trash Truck"
1999 Chevy 2500 OBS, Longbed 5.7/4L80E 4x4
2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4x4
jchav62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
markeb01, it looks like yours has the exit angled towards the firewall at about 30 degrees... Thank you again for the picture!
Glad it helped. FYI - the manifold on the passenger side of my truck is a standard straight down ram style, so you should be able to use the one you have on the other side.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Quote:
OK I checked and my "ram" style manifolds and mine have the exhaust exiting straight down which is the problem... markeb01, it looks like yours has the exit angled towards the firewall at about 30 degrees... Thank you again for the picture!
I have 2-1/2" rams horn manifolds on my '66 and they dump straight down, I also have clam-shell motor mounts which take up way more room than the type on markeb01's motor. I did relieve the clam-shell on the drivers for a little more clearance but only for better access to tighten the down-pipe.

You did say something about the "extra bolt" clearance problem on the passenger side. I actually had a left-side manifold on my passenger side and had to cut the extra off, but that was a bracket mount. I know some of these manifolds (must be a 1000 variations) have an extra bolt hole, not sure what for, can you just cut it off?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Fox Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchav62 View Post
Are you sure it's a '63? Torsion bars stopped in '62. Your truck may be older than you think...maybe someone 'titled' it as a '63. Either way, it's still a very cool truck.. I dig it...
I thought the same thing and ran the VIN on one of the online decoders and it did come back as a '63. Maybe it was just a very early '63?? Maybe a cab swap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Glad it helped. FYI - the manifold on the passenger side of my truck is a standard straight down ram style, so you should be able to use the one you have on the other side.
I changed them around and put driver side on the passenger side - now I don't have the power steering pump bracket interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
I have 2-1/2" rams horn manifolds on my '66 and they dump straight down, I also have clam-shell motor mounts which take up way more room than the type on markeb01's motor. I did relieve the clam-shell on the drivers for a little more clearance but only for better access to tighten the down-pipe.
You did say something about the "extra bolt" clearance problem on the passenger side. I actually had a left-side manifold on my passenger side and had to cut the extra off, but that was a bracket mount. I know some of these manifolds (must be a 1000 variations) have an extra bolt hole, not sure what for, can you just cut it off?
wow - mine are only the 2"...

oops I wasn't clear - it's not an extra bolt - but the bolt hole on the passenger side manifold, closest to the firewall (on the later style manifolds, straight across style collects over the top of the plugs from about 1977) is 1/2 inch off center. i.e. the front five bolts line up but the last one does not.

I put them back on and am driving to the muffler shop to see if they can make it work - wish me luck and thanks for the help!!

Last edited by Fox Delta; 09-24-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
62 Longbed

The nice think about small block chevys is the vast assortment of exhaust manifolds that GM made ... Check out some exhaust manifolds for the mid 80's Z-28 Camaros .. H.O. Camaros had the bigger exhaust dump 2.5 I believe .. Monte Carlos .. Also when I did the V/8 vega / monza / and very popular on the S-10 engine conversions when avoiding the use of headers ...we used the factory GM V/8 Monza exhaust manifolds .. V/8 monzas had the 262, 305 and Calif. 350's .. Just another avenue to check ...
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Fox Delta said:
"oops I wasn't clear - it's not an extra bolt - but the bolt hole on the passenger side manifold, closest to the firewall (on the later style manifolds, straight across style collects over the top of the plugs from about 1977) is 1/2 inch off center. i.e. the front five bolts line up but the last one does not."

no, Fox, my goof, its the HEADS that have extra bolt holes, so they can run whichever manifold the body requires. it also depends on where your motor mount perches are placed, the engine in my '66 actually sits at least an inch further ahead of others I've seen, giving me more room for my HEI as well as the manifold. Larry

Last edited by fleetsidelarry; 09-24-2009 at 05:47 PM.
fleetsidelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Fox Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
Fox Delta said:
"oops I wasn't clear - it's not an extra bolt - but the bolt hole on the passenger side manifold, closest to the firewall (on the later style manifolds, straight across style collects over the top of the plugs from about 1977) is 1/2 inch off center. i.e. the front five bolts line up but the last one does not."

no, Fox, my goof, its the HEADS that have extra bolt holes, so they can run whichever manifold the body requires. it also depends on where your motor mount perches are placed, the engine in my '66 actually sits at least an inch further ahead of others I've seen, giving me more room for my HEI as well as the manifold. Larry
ohhh ok, I understand Larry.

Drove the truck the 6 miles with open exhaust (right out of the manifolds - very loud!) to the muffler shop
After getting the truck on the lift we found that the PO used late-style motor mounts and welded them to the sub-frame so the straight down style would not work... (I have about 3 inches of clearance between the HEI and the firewall).

The muffler shop had a ram manifold with the curve at the bottom so I traded him a pair of late 80's manifolds for his. The end result was using a straight down on the passenger side and the curved on the driver side. 100 bucks for new head pipes, welding, gaskets, and hardware and it's all done!! It sounds sooo much better and no more choo-chooo sounding exhaust leak!
Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
SERKETSICCS1NINE

I got hugger headers on my 327. The headers clear no problem just make sure the angels are right on your exhaust. Mine wasn"t done exact and the donut gasket always blows out.