The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
flat_mountain

Engine swap I6 to 350

I'm planning to swap the 250 in my '71 C10 for a 350 I pulled from an '88 c1500. I will be reusing the T-350 trans that is in the truck already. I have also acquired a set of V8 engine towers. I am pulling the TBI off the 350 and plan to run an Edelbrock 650 carb and perfomer intake to simplify things. I have a few concerns though:
What kind of problems should I expect to run into?
Will the stock throttle set up work or will I need to make modifications?
Is the 6 cylinder radiator going to work or will I need to upgrade?
Can I reuse my stock power steering pump or should I use the pump from the '88? I'd like to keep the serpentine belt and use the pump off the '88 but not sure if there is a difference in the hose fittings/pressure.
What type of wiring mods will I need to do or will the existing wiring be fine?

Any help is much appreciated. thanks
flat_mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Skirkpat

Re: Engine swap I6 to 350

Keep the 6cyl engine mounts (in the rear set of holes), you will not be able to use your I6 power steering pump, and the 88 has metric hoses, so you can find a pump from an older V8 or you can have special hoses made to go from metric at the pump to standard at the steering box, The radiator might work, but you will be better of with a 3 core and a V8 shroud, you will have an internally regulated alternator with the 88 350 and HEI (which if computerized might need chaged), neither will work with your harness, I would buy an aftermarket harness if it is a nice truck, if it is a beater you could scab it together from a newer harness.

DO NOT get rid of that power steering and pulley setup for the I6, they are needed around here, alot of guys can use them, if you become a member it would sell on the classified section.

hope this helps.

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door

Last edited by Skirkpat; 10-01-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
71tahoe

Using the I6 stands keeps the transmission in the same place and you don't need a new driveshaft.

If the HEI has a vacuum advance you can most likely use it. Just run another wire from the fuse block that is 12v when the key is in both the on and start positions. Electric choke will come from the same source.

Your original alternator should physically fit but will need the serpentine pulley and if it's on the opposite side, wires extended. If the alt is just a regular internally regulated unit, you can use it. Get a conversion kit from LMC or make your own. Advance Auto has the plug for the alt and jump the outside connections where you unplug the external regulator on the rad support. There's a FAQ on this.

With the right bracket and carb studs the accelerator cable should hook up.

If that model engine is a 1pc rear main you may need a new flywheel. The TC should bolt up to whatever came on the V8 but maybe not. Make sure it is the same tooth count or you will need a new starter.

New exhaust at least half way.

Does the new engine have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump? If not, electric fuel pump. If it's blocked off, you will need a new pump and pushrod. It may also have a cam without the eccentric for the pump then back to electric.

Agree on the rad and shroud upgrade. Also a 7 blade fan with thermostatic clutch or electric fans. If you stay serpentine, I think the WP turns backward so it's electic fans. If you change over to v-belt then you need everything on front including a regular water pump. Also your temp sensor might not fit in the head.

I think the simplest for the PS pump would be to get the conversion hoses.

I think that's it but there may be more.

Last edited by 71tahoe; 10-01-2009 at 01:06 PM.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You may be able to find adapter fittings for your PS hoses.Best bet would be a NAPA.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
flat_mountain

Thanks for the information. I'm trying to plan this thing as well as possible so all information is appreciated.
flat_mountain is offline   Reply With Quote