The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
steverino66

quick headlight question

I'm trying to get headlights/taillights going for the first time - dash light switch is new, verified all the bulbs are good in another vehicle but can't get the lights to come on. I have the hood off, so no parking lights hooked up in front; just spliced in plug for tilt steering column but the column is still out of truck. Am I missing a basic connection with those pieces out (I checked all the light plugs and grounds but haven't chased any voltage in the wires)?
steverino66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Re: quick headlight question

Time to start checking for power there buddy.

Do you have constant power at headlight switch ? Do you have power coming into the truck from the horn-relay ? Does it start/run ?

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
steverino66

I got the dome light to work from the headlight switch by twisting the knob, I'm using the stock dash ignition switch, battery is up, truck will start. Probably just missing something obvious in the light circuit beyond the dash.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Fuses cool ?

Check firewall connection...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

The dome light is hot all the time, and the headlight switch activates the light by closing the ground side. You could still have a problem with power getting to the switch, but not likely if the engine will start.

You might also want to check the headlight plug grounds with a continuity tester back to the negative battery cable. Depending solely on sheetmetal to return the electricity to ground isn't all that effective. I had random dim head and tail light problems for years, and built in redundant grounding which eliminated the problems.

I run all the head and tail light grounds to a common post on each end of the truck, and connect those with separate wires directly to the the frame right below the battery. The negative battery cable attaches to the engine block, and a second battery cable goes from the engine block to the frame, connecting all the chassis ground wires.

Rule of thumb - there should never be more than one source of power - and - you can't have too many grounds.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
steverino66

Okay, guys, I appreciate the replies; you've given me a starting direction. Didn't check fuses and I know the gauge lights are dead also; engine's not grounded to frame yet. I'll start chasing wires.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
steverino66

SO… I swapped out the dimmer switch and got the headlights working high beam and low, but somehow managed to kill the dome light and dash lights in the process (they were working before headlights but not now)! High beam dash light works.
Still have no taillights - checked/tightened light plugs everywhere and visually checked wires all around, checked the tail light bulbs swapping them into my El Camino; it's definitely not the fuses, I swapped them around to check, checked that dome light bulb is still good also. So WTF?
This will be a continuing battle for next weekend, any thoughts definitely appreciated.