The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #26
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Getting ready for a long cruise

Wow!! Post pictures from your trip!
She'll get you there and back!!
Old 10-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #27
olblue81

We made it safe and sound to Iowa today. So far the only issues with the truck are a burnt out headlight, a load of bad fuel the made the engine ping and the fuel guage is swinging back and forth with the fuel sloshing.

Anyone know what causes that? When I switch tanks now, the needle pops past full and springs wildly and then settles at full. Driving down the road it bobs up and down. Before it would smoothly go to full and be steady down the road.

1981 GMC Sierra Classic LWB
355- original 2 bolt block, 10.2:1, vortec heads, Comp XE268 cam, built by self in 1992
700R4-2000 stall with lockup, shift kit, Corvette servo
3.07 open diff- I need a 3.73 posi!

2nd owner since 1986 - 388,000 km and counting. 100k by the first owner and the rest by me.
olblue81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #28
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

it might be the sender
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #29
silvereagle07

Cool thread! Glad you made it to Iowa with little trouble. How was the ride with the lowered altitude? I agree with flamingbig10 on the sender. It could be sulfur build up on the sender card giving a bad reading. You cold try to add some Chevron Techron fuel additive to clear it up. Got any pics of the trip?

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #30
olblue81

silvereagle07- the ride is great with the new suspension. The shocks are from DJM and are a little firm but I don't mind them. I bet with some miles they'll soften a bit but it's not bad. The seat foam is flat under the driver's butt so that probably doesn't help, lol.

We were supposed to leave for Iowa on Friday morning and get there mid-late afternoon Saturday which would leave time for me to get the truck shined up and go on the cruise portion of the Cruise to the Woods. As it was we didn't leave until Saturday morning because of issues getting the shackle bushings out and replaced and also as I tried to put the rear axle back on the springs I found the driveshaft was too long by about 1/4". In all my research of dropping the truck, I have never heard of anyone saying that the shaft was too long and needed to be shortened. I double checked and it appears as though the front spring location was the same between the DJM hangers and the stockers. But regardless I spent Thursday night deciding whether to go and get the shaft shortened and delay departure for a day knowing I would only make it to the show for the last hour or two if everything went well. Friday 8 am I found a shop 1.5 hours away that would do the shaft while I waited. 4:40 on Friday afternoon the shaft was in the truck and I was on my way to get it aligned when I called the shop and they said they had one in the bay and mine couldn't get done till Saturday. In fact Saturday at 8 am the truck went to the alignment shop and we didn't leave until it was done at 9:30. With a couple hours of stops for food and fuel, we didn't make Fargo until 11:30 local. On the road again at 7 the next day we rolled into Fort Dodge in time to grab my door prize for longest haul and walk around the show for an hour and a half. Only grabbed one photo with my camera on the trip down-
The truck entering Iowa

And a couple on the fairgrounds-

All dirty from the rain on the way down

The tailgate and driver's side of the truck are dotted with engine oil cause the front seal is leaking. I added a couple quarts on the way down so it's manageable at least. I'll have to put that on the list of stuff to fix. Changed a headlight today but still confused about the fuel guage. It happens on both tanks, so I doubt it's the senders because both senders would have to fail at the same time. I'm guessing it's in the new switch that I installed on the dash, but that's only a guess.

1981 GMC Sierra Classic LWB
355- original 2 bolt block, 10.2:1, vortec heads, Comp XE268 cam, built by self in 1992
700R4-2000 stall with lockup, shift kit, Corvette servo
3.07 open diff- I need a 3.73 posi!

2nd owner since 1986 - 388,000 km and counting. 100k by the first owner and the rest by me.
olblue81 is offline   Reply With Quote