The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
71-C10

71 Needs New Headers

I'm looking for new headers for my 71 Cheyenne. It has a 350 stock(for now)engine. My problem is I can't decide what I want. I do know that I want them thermal coated. I'm leaning towards the Hedman Elite with ceramic coating. The elites have ball type collectors . I've never had headers with a ball collector, but my exhaust guy recommends them. I have a freind that is an engine builder also recommending them. Truck has cyclone headers on it now, and they're in bad shape. I'm thinking about Flowmaster 40 mufflers to complete my exhaust system. I want a good sound, no popping or cracking. Any input welcomed and appreciated.

Eddie
71-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: 71 Needs New Headers

Welcome to the board! I ran a set of Hookers that were on my truck when I bought it 10 years ago. Look rusty, but no holes. I can see where a ball connector would be appealing to the muffler man. Ceramic coatings look good. But, Summit has their own name on a set of FlowTech headers for cheap that I'll be getting when the time is nigh. The "Hot Rod" look is my theme so coating of high temp header paint may be just what I need for my theme.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
71-C10

I appreciate the one reply to my post. It looks like from my research that overall, Hedman Elites are built tough, but I've heard a lot of complaints about the "coating". The coating tends to flake off. Nobody though, has commented on the ball type collector. How does it compare with the traditional flange type collector?

Eddie
71-C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
rogergodding

71-C10,
I also need headers for my 71 GMC, been running some Flotechs that I have had for about 13 years!! They are ugly! I was wondering if anyone has some input on the short throw headers that ECE sells? They look nice and you can get your exhaust pipes above the lower framerail with them..... anyone??
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

I'm running pretty much what you're talking about. I got Hedman Headers with ball collectors with 2 1/4" pipe and Flowmaster Classic 40 series mufflers. I don't get any popping or cracking but I think you snould know that when you get on it the system is pretty loud. What's nice is that if you're just cruising around town it sounds great but is reasonably quiet. I think that a lot of the satisfaction of an exhaust system is related to the quality of the installation. The shop that did mine was just great.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

I'm running pretty much what you're talking about. I got Hedman Headers with ball collectors with 2 1/4" pipe and Flowmaster Classic 40 series mufflers. I don't get any popping or cracking but I think you should know that when you get on it the system is pretty loud. What's nice is that if you're just cruising around town it sounds great but is reasonably quiet. I think that a lot of the satisfaction of an exhaust system is related to the quality of the installation. The shop that did mine was just great.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
TheOldGM

I am also in the market for headers. Keep posting, as it helps me with my decision also...
TheOldGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
cdowns

i've had quite a few sets of coated headers most have held up really well none flaked// they really help alot with underhood temp control and are well worth the additional expence
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
68Stepbed

I have what you're wanting. I have the Hedman Elite long tube headers, 2.5" pipes and Super 40 Flowmasters. So far, I've been reall satisfied with the finish of the headers. I've had them for three years now, and the finish is still holding up. It's actually not ceramic coating, it's just a thermal coating. Hedman has a 5yr. warranty on the finish.

The ball flanges do seal better, but the supplied nuts won't stay tight. I had to double nut mine to keep them on.

A pic or two......

and a video for sound clip.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
nastyc10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergodding View Post
71-C10,
I also need headers for my 71 GMC, been running some Flotechs that I have had for about 13 years!! They are ugly! I was wondering if anyone has some input on the short throw headers that ECE sells? They look nice and you can get your exhaust pipes above the lower framerail with them..... anyone??
I have these headers. They are sanderson ceramic coated shorties. My truck is slammed so I needed my pipes up high. I'm using magnaflow mufflers and the sound is awesome! The finish on the headers is really nice and I haven't had any leaking problems.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevLoRay View Post
Welcome to the board! I ran a set of Hookers that were on my truck when I bought it 10 years ago. Look rusty, but no holes. I can see where a ball connector would be appealing to the muffler man. Ceramic coatings look good. But, Summit has their own name on a set of FlowTech headers for cheap that I'll be getting when the time is nigh. The "Hot Rod" look is my theme so coating of high temp header paint may be just what I need for my theme.
Summit headers are Dynomax brand. I bought a set a few years ago and noticed a part number stamped into the tube near the collector. I typed the number into Google and Dynomax Chevy truck header page popped up with the exact number for our trucks.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Mudder

I had my headers coated in Oklahoma by Airborne coatings. One of the owners was a owner of Jet Hot at one time. I have had really good luck with the Air Borne coating and the turn around time is great. I took them out of the box to cut the flanges then sent them on to get the coating.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #13
rogergodding

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyc10 View Post
I have these headers. They are sanderson ceramic coated shorties. My truck is slammed so I needed my pipes up high. I'm using magnaflow mufflers and the sound is awesome! The finish on the headers is really nice and I haven't had any leaking problems.
Cool! I don't think mine will ever sit as low as yours but I hate seeing them hang under the frame.....
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
71see10
Worthless

Here's my hedman elite headers with the thermal coating.They have been on my truck for about 2 years now with no problems what so ever!!!

71see10 is offline   Reply With Quote