The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
SDean
1968 GMC 2500 CST

Part Out or Sell Complete

I am the owner of a black 1968 2500 Custom that my father bought new when he retired from GM. The truck was TOL in its day with AC, 327 V8, TH 400, 4.10 Posi, buddy seat, etc.

Unfortunately, Hurricane Ike collapsed my barn onto the truck and other vehicles last September, damaging the cab, hood and both fenders. Originally, I had planed to have the truck repaired but have since changed my mind for various reasons. The truck runs and drives and the AC works but the cab roof has been crushed and the windshield is broken.

Though this is a one owner truck and includes all original documentation as well as many spare parts that I have collected over the years, I have subsequently learned that the truck is worth more as parts than complete.

One wonders why. I would much prefer to sell the truck to someone who would restore it but considering its value as parts have not done so.

Aside from the time necessary to disassemble it and part it out, which is incidential to me, might anyone have thoughts as to why it appears to be worth siginficantly less complete than as a collection of parts.

Dean
SDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
big_al_71

Re: Part Out or Sell Complete

Just because it was your fathers truck I would do anything possible to bring it back to it's glory...Tis is of course if I had the opportunitty to own something that my dad own which I have never had the chance yet.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
nuke1

I agree with Al, i could never sell my truck, it is the only thing that i have of my Father before he passed, means evrything to me. sit back and collect your thoughts, you have all the time in the world to restore it yourself, anything can be fixed, trust me.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

to answer the actual question, look at it like an old worn out unwanted vehicle that is headed to the junk yard. Worn out motor, drivers seat torn and faded, pant is faded and lots of dings... a junker. You sell it to the junk yard for 100 - 200 bucks, and drive it there.
Now, depending on what kind of car it is, the engine, even worn out, mat be worth 100 - 500 bucks, and a guy who needs it will pay that price. The guy who needs the tranny is willing to pay the price of the tranny. The sun roof which you would have a hard time selling in the classifieds or on craigslist is still worth 75 bucks to the guy who lost his doing 80 MPH on the freeway.
Yet the car was only worth 100 - 200 bucks.
Your truck is only worth $X00 as it sits, the rolling chassis alone may be worth more than the whole truck. And to the guy who needs the chassis, but doesn't have the time/space/desire/ability to strip it and part it out, is going to pay the price that you tell him... esp if it is the only one in town that is exactly what he needs.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
to answer the actual question, look at it like an old worn out unwanted vehicle that is headed to the junk yard. Worn out motor, drivers seat torn and faded, pant is faded and lots of dings... a junker. You sell it to the junk yard for 100 - 200 bucks, and drive it there.
Now, depending on what kind of car it is, the engine, even worn out, mat be worth 100 - 500 bucks, and a guy who needs it will pay that price. The guy who needs the tranny is willing to pay the price of the tranny. The sun roof which you would have a hard time selling in the classifieds or on craigslist is still worth 75 bucks to the guy who lost his doing 80 MPH on the freeway.
Yet the car was only worth 100 - 200 bucks.
Your truck is only worth $X00 as it sits, the rolling chassis alone may be worth more than the whole truck. And to the guy who needs the chassis, but doesn't have the time/space/desire/ability to strip it and part it out, is going to pay the price that you tell him... esp if it is the only one in town that is exactly what he needs.
That's right! As a matter of fact, that's how wrecking yards stay in business. In your case Sdean, I would seriously consider repairing and keeping that truck.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Well, as an example, lets say you would consider selling the truck for $1500 as it sits.

Assuming the parts are good, a person wants your seats but doesn't need the whole truck. You sell the seats for $200. Someone wants the hood and fenders and you sell for $150 each. Somebody else buys the tailgate for $200 or more.

Another wants the complete posi rear end. You part with it for $500.

It's a slow process but you get the picture. I guess it all depends on whether you want to have a dismantled parts truck in your yard. It may take a long time to sell all of it.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

one mans trash is anothers treasure....I would post a pick of it so we can get a better idea..what you consider a total may be a nice winter project for someone....alot of people have different ideas of what a project is. I would consider a roof clip if the rest of the truck was in decent shape and fenders arn't that big a deal at all..I mean alot of guys change them in the driveway and there is a good supply of used stuff out there
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
mikemikeska

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 10-05-2009 at 03:42 PM.
mikemikeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
cdowns

the xplanations of why are right on// sentiment?? if others r trying to tell you what thier fellings are fine but bottom line if you want to move it part it out for max dollars and b done with it//
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
71cheyenne4x4

As said earlier anything can be fixed. I'm local and know where a few parts trucks are that you could get a decent cab or roof cheap if you wanted to fix it or have someone else fix it(my brother in law does bodywork on the side). I may even know someone that might be interested in buying it.

As for it being worth more as parts, that's just kind of the way it is. A 68 2500 2wd just isn't worth much unless it's in really good condition. The buddy buckets alone are worth a few hundred bucks, plus the drive line,rear end, body parts, etc.

I just sold a 79 3/4 4x4 chevy that was rust free and let it go way cheaper than just what the parts were worth, and it took couple weeks to sell. I just didn't want a torn apart truck sitting in my back yard and just wanted it gone.
71cheyenne4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
oldcarfart

You will only have your Dad's truck once, IF you part it out I bet hindsight and the shoulda's, woulda's and coulda's will haunt you later BTDT.
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #12
SDean
1968 GMC 2500 CST

71:

I've investigated having it repaired, either with a different cab or simply replacing the cab roof but have decided against doing so because the result would not be the same truck to me.

I'm a good mechanic but do not do body and paint work so would need to hire out the repair.

It just seemed odd to me that the complete damaged vehicle with all original documentation including owner's manual, maintenance manual, parts manual, TH 400 manual, warranty plate, 2 engines, etc., would be worth more than a collection of parts.

In any event, it's inside, covered and not in the way so I can postpone doing anything.

Hottrucks: I would post a picture but am a novice on this site and have not learned how.

Sdean
SDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
425HP409
425hp409

Smile Re: Part Out or Sell Complete

You really need to think about rebuilding the truck, even if it is going to be a while in the future. I have my Dad's 68 that he bought new, on my birthday, no less. I have all the paperwork with his signature on it, which is priceless to me. Dad is gone, but his truck with all the memories will be in the family for a long time. It tool me a while to restore it, but it was worth every penny of it.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote