The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Libertad
No Nonsense

15X10 backspacing help

Well I got some used rims 15x10 but there is not enough backspacing. In other words the lug bolts are to short. Can I replace the lug bolts to longer ones or are they permanently attached to the drum brake cover? I have a 75' C10
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: 15X10 backspacing help

no problem goto your local good parts store and ask the for a wheel stud and tell them you need one at least X" longer...take them home pull the drum grab a BFH and give then a couple good wacks they will pop out the back....check to see if they will come out with out hitting the backing plate if they come out put A new one in add a filler like a big nut and a coulpe washers then put on the lug nut on and tighten it up and pull it to seat...once there all done and the wheel is on be sure to check them pretty regulay until you feel comfortable and the new studs are seated..if they don't clear the backing plate you may have to pull the axles out

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 15X10 backspacing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
Well I got some used rims 15x10 but there is not enough backspacing. In other words the lug bolts are to short. Can I replace the lug bolts to longer ones or are they permanently attached to the drum brake cover? I have a 75' C10
It's not the backspacing of the rim you are talking about it is the hub thickness of the rim. Backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the back edge of the rim.

You can knock the wheel studs out of the axle and replace them with longer ones. There were several different knurl diameters so you will have to knock one of yours out and measure it to order the right ones.

The C-10 should use 7/16" threads so look up a 75 Corvette in the parts store to get one of their wheel studs. Theirs are about 2" long due to the design of their brakes so they should be longer than yours and may be the same knurl diameter.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote