The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Need help how to get front fender off

well my freind and i are trying to remove both front fenders and inner fender off a 84 Dually crew cab

if anyone have a guide on how to or give a newbie explenation on where the location on all the bolts as we never have touched one of these before this is the first US vechiel im working on im normaly a Volvo mechanic

also Brake parts for a 1Ton Dually where can i get that LMC doesnt have any
brake pads, shoes, hoses and hardware
Online Shop only

Thanks

Thomas

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
dv8customs

Re: Need help how to get front fender of

I have an '86 c10 but it should be similar. There will be one bolt on the upper rear of the fender near the hood hinge, another one behind the door at the top. Then there is one at the bottom of the fender towards the door. Crawl under there and you will see it. At the core support there are about 5 or 6 smaller bolts holding it on.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

I just cant picture a big old rusty dually in europe. Is it right hand drive? or just drive on the left side of the road. sorry dumb question..
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
harnalien
TruckincrazY

I had to remove my passenger side fender earlier this year. Hopefully this pic is of some use. You should be able to see the bolt holes from this pic. I didn't remove the inner fender, so I don't have pics of that. I imagine it would be just as simple. Good luck!
Attached Images

harnalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

Those bolts are 1/2". Hope that helps some too.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

In the assembly plant the fenders were installed with the inner wheel well already installed (on the fender).

I mention that here just to say that you can remove them all as one assembly if you prefer.

There would be one additional bolt inside the wheel house, behind the rear tire, in addition to the ones already mentioned in the previous posts (vertical bolt at windshield post, horizontal bolt at windshield post - accessed from inside the door, bottom horizontal bolt access from under truck, nose bolts at front of fender to rad support).

It's the bolt at the point of this triangle shaped piece (it goes through to the front of dash):

Also - you may find a bunch of shims under the fender at each of those rear locations. Save them, because they will help line everything back up if/when you go back together.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #7
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGRAFX View Post
I just cant picture a big old rusty dually in europe. Is it right hand drive? or just drive on the left side of the road. sorry dumb question..
this a left hand drive imported from the states many years ago
we also drive in the left side we are normal like you guys not like people from UK

Thanks Guys this helps a Bunch

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
GmtGmt

Re: Need help how to get front fender off

Quote:
Save them, because they will help line everything back up if/when you go back together.
thanks for heads up yes it will come back togther as im removing them to replace the cab

Brake parts for a 1Ton Dually where can i get that LMC doesnt have any
Online Shop only

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: Need help how to get front fender off

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
thanks for heads up yes it will come back togther as im removing them to replace the cab

Brake parts for a 1Ton Dually where can i get that LMC doesnt have any
Online Shop only
There were a few Chevy trucks running around in Germany, England and Saudi when I was there in the 80's & 90's but I think you are probably better off going mail order through one of the common parts stores here like NAPAonline, AutoZone or CSK and paying the shipping costs.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote