The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
panhead671

grills/headlights

I have an 85 c10 and would like to put a 79 grill and headlight assembly on the front (I like the round headlights better)...has anyone tried this?...how much modification was involved?...any advice or suggestions appreciated...
Mark
panhead671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: grills/headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead671 View Post
I have an 85 c10 and would like to put a 79 grill and headlight assembly on the front (I like the round headlights better)...has anyone tried this?...how much modification was involved?...any advice or suggestions appreciated...
Mark
I want to do a similar swap but I want the newer fenders on my 78 so we are in the same boat.

I know you will need to swap out the hood & cowl panel as well as the grill due to the bump out of the earlier grill and the design change of the hood to match. The hood hinges are of different designs so they will have to be modified to fit. I think making the newer hinges fit the older hood will be the easiest way.

The slope of the hood is different too but I don't know if the older hood can follow this slope and still fit. It may take a hybrid core support to integrate the two vintages.

There must be some reason why I have never seen a hybrid front end before. I know we are not the only ones to think of this.

I considered grafting in the middle & lower skin of the newer fenders onto the structure and upper skin section of a set of older fenders. Tons of welding and body work but probably easier than the work involved in test fitting all the mixed parts and finding out they don't play well together.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Damien

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363100
I know there are more threads on this subject if you search.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

are wanting to swap the front clip for a 79 or just the grille, to do a clip swap you'll need 73-80 hood, fenders, inner fenders, core support, wiper arms, hood hinges, hood springs, bumper, bumper bracket, wiring, headlights, turn signals, and parking lights then you have the modify the front frame horns, there's holes were the 81-87 cowl panel was you'll need weld those up to look proper and were the hood hinges came out the cowl you'll need to modify that area
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
panhead671

Aaron,
I really don't want to do a full clip swap...I just want the round head light assembly of the pre-80 instead of the square....thanks for the advice...any more would be appreciated...
Mark
Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
panhead671

Gentlemen,

I really don't want to do a full clip swap...I just want the round head light assembly of the pre-80 instead of the square....thanks for the advice...any more would be appreciated...
Mark
Old 10-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead671 View Post
Gentlemen,

Mark
From the way it looks I think it is easier to do a full clip swap to the round headlight front end rather than try to build a hybrid front end.

At the least you would need the 70's hood, core support and grill to start with so you might as well get the whole clip.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote