The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
treefrog340

Truck bed questions

I have a number of questions:
(for starters)

1 Did the 79 GMC's come factory with Stepsides?

2 What side was the gas filler on? 73-79, long bed/short/stepside/desile, etc.
Chevy any different?)

3 any pics of the tailgaite for a stepside (GMC)?

4 side marker lights, I have seen vertical, and horizontal ... why?

5 where can I get replacement side mirrors the tripod style?

Last edited by treefrog340; 10-08-2009 at 04:19 PM.
treefrog340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
74 C-30
Dually Pride

Re: Truck bed questions

1) yes
2) depends on on the side that the gas tank was mounted, maybe someone else can go more in-depth
3)personally, no
4)73-80 vertical marker lights, 81-87 horizontal
5)damn near anywhere
welcome to the board!

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
JohnC

First off welcome to the boards. I'll try and answer the questions I can the best that I can. There is a wealth of knowledge here. There are a couple of threads near the top of these that have pictures of trucks that you may find useful as well. There is also a stepside pic thread going as well.

Now on to your questions.
1) Not sure when they started doing stepside trucks.
2) Most single gas tank fleetside trucks had them on the passenger side. I have an 84 with a single tank and it is on the driver's side. Most of the trucks in the 80's had dual tanks. On stepsides I'm not sure if they had them on the passenger sides or not. Everyone I have seen has been on the driver's side. Chevrolet, and GMC are identical except for badging, and few other minor differences.
3) Can't help you there. I know in the stepside thread there is one of a Chevrolet, but I can't recall seeing a GMC.
4) The marker lights from 73-80 were vertical. With the slight body style change in 81 the marker lights went to horizontal from 81-87.
5) Try LMC, or Brother's. There are also many vendors here on the boards that can help you with them too.

Hope this answers your questions, and if I'm mistaken on some of them I'm sure someone with the correct info will chime in.

Last edited by JohnC; 10-08-2009 at 04:33 PM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
First off welcome to the boards. I'll try and answer the questions I can the best that I can. There is a wealth of knowledge here. There are a couple of threads near the top of these that have pictures of trucks that you may find useful as well. There is also a stepside pic thread going as well.

Now on to your questions.
1) Not sure when they started doing stepside trucks.
2) Most single gas tank fleetside trucks had them on the passenger side. I have an 84 with a single tank and it is on the driver's side. Most of the trucks in the 80's had dual tanks. On stepsides I'm not sure if they had them on the passenger sides or not. Everyone I have seen has been on the driver's side. Chevrolet, and GMC are identical except for badging, and few other minor differences.
3) Can't help you there. I know in the stepside thread there is one of a Chevrolet, but I can't recall seeing a GMC.
4) The marker lights from 73-80 were vertical. With the slight body style change in 81 the marker lights went to horizontal from 81-87.
5) Try LMC, or Brother's. There are also many vendors here on the boards that can help you with them too.

Hope this answers your questions, and if I'm mistaken on some of them I'm sure someone with the correct info will chime in.
It will be the same as the chevy. same truck different name.

as for the tripod type. it depends on the type you have and how you want to keep original. the ones on my truck are the ones that came with the truck and have 4 screws on the back of mirror to clamp the mirror to the arm. and that kind was very hard to find around here. I ended up paying 30 bucks for just the arm and mirror. but if I switched to After market kind I would have spent double that for a set and the holes would not have matched up.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 10-08-2009 at 07:21 PM.
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

since stepsides have been around longer than fleetsides id say stepsides where offered the same exact years as the fleetsides
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
treefrog340

OK lets try a different approach....

1 Did the 79 GMC's come factory with Stepsides?
I was curious to know if or when they STOPPEd offering stepsides ... I know you can mount one on the truck pretty much any year, but was not sure if they stopped around 79.

2 What side was the gas filler on? 73-79, long bed/short/stepside/desile, etc.
Chevy any different?)
I have seen pics on this site with fillers on one side and the other...now I am sure factory did not make a gas filler on drivers side for half and passengers side for the other half ... leading me to belive the beds are from the wrong year for some trucks, it was moved on some trucks, or something unknown...

3 any pics of the tailgaite for a stepside (GMC)?
Hey that is a simple one, right?

4 side marker lights, I have seen vertical, and horizontal ... why?
Got that one answered... sweet!

5 where can I get replacement side mirrors the tripod style?
Original style woyuld be nice, what is on my truck now looks like to car mirrors from 1967 not gonna cut it, I wat truck mirrors, and the crap from advance Auto ... looks like a fun house mirror, so I was good glass, even if it is used.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
treefrog340

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...hp?photo=10411

This is the style mirror I would like to find
Old 10-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Stepside came factory on all GM trucks until the 88-98 generation. They stopped for a few years then started again in 92 (I think).

So what that means is if you have a GMC with a stepside bed it could very well be factory. Look at your spid if its still there in the glovebox.

The filler was located on the passenger side if it was single tank and both sides if it was dual tank.

As mentioned 73-80 had vertical markers, 81-87 has horizontal markers.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Stepside came factory on all GM trucks until the 88-98 generation. They stopped for a few years then started again in 92 (I think).

So what that means is if you have a GMC with a stepside bed it could very well be factory. Look at your spid if its still there in the glovebox.

The filler was located on the passenger side if it was single tank and both sides if it was dual tank.
As mentioned 73-80 had vertical markers, 81-87 has horizontal markers.
My 84 has a single tank, and is on the driver's side. I thought it was really weird when I saw it. I know primarily they are the other way around, but I like it better on the driver's side.

Do the GMC stepsides have the lettering in the tailgate also? Thinking back I don't ever recall seeing a GMC step side. They have all been Chevrolets.

Last edited by JohnC; 10-09-2009 at 09:21 AM.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
treefrog340

Awesome guys, thanks ...t hant gotr most of the important issues...

My SB is a fleet, but plan to put a SS on as soon as I finnd a good deal to work with....

Last edited by treefrog340; 10-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
treefrog340

OK now I find more info.... the Stepsides are 73-78 and 79-87.

I like the 73-78 style, but as I have a 79 truck ... what differences are there between the two (bed vs truck) other that the vertical side marker on the fender and a square gas lid?

Last edited by treefrog340; 10-09-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
mhicks

My stock (factory) '73 Stepside Chevy has gas tank on passenger side. I have seen GMC Stepside tailgates. Exactly like Chevy but have GMC stamped in them.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

As for the mirrors. I am not aware of anyone that still makes that kind that aren't the same that you would find at the auto stores. I looked there. I got mine from a junk yard. but its hard because they are usually one of the first things off and they don't get treated well by most yards.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
treefrog340

yeah I got the modern Advance auto mirrors, they are going back ... wow dollar store quality glass... and sad too I liked the look.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
treefrog340

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...204533&page=78 tailgate pic ... final found one