The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Nova70

Insulating!

Winter is coming up and it's like driving an ice box in the morning and night. My heater works great but I'm not sure what to do about insulation. I'm going to order some stuff from second skin, sound deadener and insulation but don't know how much yet. Here's my idea and you guys tell me what you think- Do some heat insulation on the floor, bottom half of the doors, back of the cab & the roof of the cab. I'm going to put some carpet over the insulation but I'm wondering how hard will it be to get the insulation and carpet to stick to the roof? There's no headliner so this will be my custom headliner. Could I possibly just use some headliner glue for the insulation and carpet? I want to put the sound deadener on the roof as well so will the glue stick to that?

I'm using these BTW-
Sound deadener- http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...damplifier.php
Insulation- http://www.secondskinaudio.com/therm...t-wave-pro.php
Nova70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
dan42

Re: Insulating!

Unfortunately these trucks don't seal that great, even right from the factory. I remember when I had my '71 Blazer when I lived in Heber, I would always had to wear a heavy jacket in the winter time. I would probably do as you are doing, but I'm not so sure I would do anything about the roof, unless you can find a headliner that's supposed to fit in there. Not much else you can do other than what you have already mentioned. You might check the felts on your windows, though - old ones leak horribly and they aren't that hard to replace.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
cdowns

shag rug glued to the roof and a disco ball hangin on the mirror// retro 70's at it's best if you're wearin hiphugger bellbottom pants
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

cdowns, Nova 70 probably has never seen shag carpet let alone disco balls! But I have haha BTW cdowns you are showing your age. Remember the polyester disco shirts, platform shows, and the poly pants whooooooooooo
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
Diablo de la Noche

I couldn't help it, I had to post this pic!
Attached Images

Diablo de la Noche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

If your really concerned about leakage, replace the gaskets in your vent doors if needed. After 40 or so years they leak cold air.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
Nova70

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclewatts View Post
If your really concerned about leakage, replace the gaskets in your vent doors if needed. After 40 or so years they leak cold air.
I just want something that will keep the heat in...
Nova70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
rob32472

Use lizard skin ceramic insulation spray..... it will keep the cab air the cab air and will dampen road noise if you use the sound control as well that is what i am doing on project cod fish. The only part of the interior that will get paint is the dash and door jambs the rest will get that sprayed and then covered with custom interior.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
70duramax

Your heater cant be working that great if it feels like an icebox when i had my 70 4x4 i lived in minot ND pretty much one of the coldest dang places on earth and my heater could roast you right out with just the original insulation. If it was me i'd get a temp gun and see exactaly how hot your heat is. if seems cool you could try a new thermastat, a 195' sholud do the trick! just my two cents but the heaters in these old trucks are awesome.........and p.s peeling that spray adhesive off in the future is gonna be a pita!
70duramax is offline   Reply With Quote